microsoft officeSupport

Last Updated:

1. zebug

zebug Well-Known Member

Just wanted to double check with you guys. I have a friend that is looking into tablets but she wants to be able to open/edit things in excel while riding the bus.

By my 5 minutes of research on this great forum, it seems Documents To Go would do what she needs. Anyone have an reservations about me telling her that if she got a droid tablet, she'd be able to do what she wants. She's considering a blackberry tablet but I'm trying to turn her to the good side.

(keep in mind...umm we have a very physical type of relationship when the time calls so I CAN'T SCREW THIS UP!!!!)

2. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

Most Android tablets come with Polaris Office which will work with Excel and Word documents just fine - no need to get anything else. The Samsung Tab 10.1 includes it and it's really good...I've used it several times.
    zebug likes this.
  3. sunlimited

sunlimited Well-Known Member

The Galaxy tab comes with quick office pro HD.
    it should work with ms office files, i know you can edit excel files because i've done it before, although i've never tried power point.

realistically speaking, it's a pain in the butt to edit spreadsheets.
    i've done it before (very simple spreadsheet) and the general using of it wasnt really a great experience for me, since i'm used to working on spread sheets on 19-24 inch monitors with a mouse & keyboard. trying to do it on a 10 inch tab and sharing the screen with the onscreen keyboard doesnt really help. also i'm pretty sure it doesnt fully support ms excel, all my charts showed up but the markers of my charts werent colored properly etc...
    zebug likes this.
  4. pm_phone

pm_phone Well-Known Member

Quick office pro works fine for simple spreadsheets.

But I've had problems with more complex work books, where one spreadsheet references data in another spreadsheet in the same XLS file.
    zebug likes this.
  5. zebug

zebug Well-Known Member

thanks everyone, I'll pass along the information.
  6. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Well-Known Member

Having a trackpad and physical keyboard might help with frustration. So, maybe the Asus Transformer would be worth a look. We have a SGT 10.1, but I work on spreadsheets all day at work and don't really want to touch one outside the office ;)
  7. cmcollins001

cmcollins001 Well-Known Member

I have Docs to Go on my tab, I am able to make simple edits to spreadsheets I've uploaded to the tab or even create a simple spreadsheet. The keyboard dock, and bluetooth help when making more than simple edits, and when using Word. No problems yet for me.
  8. 2naughty

2naughty New Member

All of the above is really helpful, but I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem I
  9. linuxrich

linuxrich Well-Known Member

A couple of other points to bear in mind...

LibreOffice is working on a port to Android. (For future reference.)

Google Docs. Worth considering?
  10. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Well-Known Member Contributor

You can open and edit Excel files with just about any of the apps mentioned here. I have tried most, but not all of them. However, of the "big 3" (Documents To Go, OfficeSuite Pro, and QuickOffice Pro), OfficeSuite Pro is the only one that handles cell references from other worksheets correctly, and is also the only one that honors frozen cells/columns... which is vitally important on these smaller screen devices (compared to a desktop pc). All three have free or trial versions.

I think that is either a Canadian thing or a carrier add-on. My wifi-only Tab (and my wife's) came with Quickoffice installed, not Polaris.
  11. shelby9490

shelby9490 New Member

I have a question about the polaris office.. Will I be able to make microsoft office documents and send them to my online college and submit them.. They only exept microsoft office... I want to get the tablet 10.1 but do not know if it is worth it.
  12. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Well-Known Member

Go to Samsung Apps & look for Smart Office 2, it's free and very slick. It's made by Picsel who used to have a slick editor on my old Palm days so they have been around a while. It edits all file types plus PDF and text. Very easy to use. It has help files even though it is intuitive to use, while Polaris has no real help file anywhere (in english anyway?).