MID - music format

1. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

MIDI: 30 years old... almost ? The Register

I like MID files for ringtones. Since they are so small, I can have a rather extensive library under 1MB. Plus a lot of them are free.

I just wish they were readily available when my daughter skated.
    (You can't use vocals - and good versions of instrumental only rock were scarce)

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

I think you can build an instrument using a Midi keyboard and assign a vocal sample to that
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Trouble with MIDI songs, unless you have a decent synth like Yamaha XG or something, it sounds awful and toy like IMO.
  4. Joelgp83

Joelgp83 Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised that most of the major softsynth makers (Yamaha, Roland, heck maybe Creative if they could actually make a true software soundfont synth) have never tried porting their synths to mobile devices.

I mean, sure, it's not really a good idea to use sequencing software on a mobile device, but what about those who just want to listen? Currently, all we've got is the built-in craptastic Roland el cheapo synth on most phones, surely there would be a market for better sounding synths? We've got the horsepower.....:musicus:
  5. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

6. Joelgp83

Joelgp83 Well-Known Member

I see, Android's latency isn't supposedly up to par for most realtime music apps.

However, I see no problem with (and neither did the blog writer) playback-only synth programs working on Android. It should easily be possible for, say, an Android version of Yamaha's S-YXG100 softsynth to work with all the bells and whistles on simple playback of MIDI files.
    Speed Daemon likes this.
  7. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Playback is definitely possible, yeah. And hopefully we'll see more complex stuff now that the latency has dropped on some of the latest devices. :)