Might be a stupid question...but...Support

Last Updated:

1. gicuenitro

gicuenitro Member This Topic's Starter

When you are dealing with android or even (i hate to say it) iphone's os, is there much maintenance involved with the latest greatest smartphones?

I am madly in love with my captivate like some of you may know, but it has kinda hit me today that having to kill so many tasks that frequently seems a bit much and it makes me wonder if A:I am doing something wrong or closing the apps that I run wrong, B: there is some maintenance involved with these phones? Maybe not defragging, but the same ideas...do they get cluttered and slow? Should there be so much available space on your internal sd? etc etc... or C: There is nothing wrong, I am just being stupid. The phone is built to handle what I can throw at it...or maybe even a "D:" i don't even know about?

Any thoughts on this madness would be great! Thanks guys! and girls!...

Advertisement
  2. tylerdurdin

tylerdurdin Well-Known Member

Not as much as you think. On my captivate I only use system panel lite. The only apps I kill are my media players or stupid stuff to free up ram once in a while. I personally leave my phone to do its own thing, it has proven to me that it knows what its doing after all it is a smart phone:). I also find that if my phone is lagging real bad that its usually after i have just used every app in my phone, well, not EVERY but you know what I mean. Just go to your system panel and kill the apps that dont need to be on. Good rule of thumb is, if you dont know what it is running, dont kill it. For the most part under normal use your phone will shut down apps on its own to have ram if it is running low. Fragmented memory and stuff is not really a issue, and I dont know how much it helps but alot of android vets will simply reboot after un-installing a lot of apps. Last as far as ALL THAT MEMORY feel free to fill it up, thats what it is there for. My phone runs pretty good LOADED with movies, music, pictures, wallpapers, etc. Have fun and dont stress it, if you need help thats what the community is here for.:D

gicuenitro likes this.
  3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

If you're spending that much time killing tasks, then yes you're managing your phone wrong. Abusive use of task killers interferes with Android's proper memory management and can actually cause worse behavior/performance.

Task killers - CapFAQ

gicuenitro likes this.
  4. gicuenitro

gicuenitro Member This Topic's Starter

Ok. Great advice. Thanks guys!

So Basically I need to relax a bit and let my phone much processes on it's own. Makes sense. It just seemed strange to me that some apps have an exit button, some don't. Some seem to keep running whether you exit or not. Made me think with the availability and all the talk about ATK that I should just be keeping a constant eye on it. Which, is not what I expected to be doing a lot with any smart phone, let alone this sexy beast of a phone :D. I just can't afford to play it dumb with my health situation. I will relax a bit and follow your lead. Keep an eye on things. Thank you very much for your help!