• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Might Jump to Android

nmulax

Lurker
Sep 15, 2010
Been lurking on the forum for the past week or two trying to get all the info I can before I make a new phone decision; but still would like some clarification.

Been on Sprint for 6+ years; and right now I'm using the BB 8830 World Edition (this December will be 3 years old, and it's performed flawlessly). I like BB. It's not the flashiest or most fun, but it just works; and really my biggest complaints are the lack of a camera on my 8830, and the crummy BB web browser.
I'm staying with Sprint, so I have it narrowed to the BB Bold 9650, HTC Evo, or Samsung Epic. Obviously I'd expect this forum to be biased towards the two Android phones.

BB Bold 9650
Pros:

Familiar system
BB messenger
Email security
Well built phone
Error free OS
Battery life
Cons:
Since it comes with OS-5, I'm basically buying a phone with an obsolete OS.
Web-browsing still sucks
Doesn't have all the apps of Android
Can't be customized like Android

I figure there's no need to go through the pros/cons of the Evo and Epic

Attachments

• 4952220839_f4eec31fdb.jpg
    4952220839_f4eec31fdb.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 82
I have a BB 8530 and I'm going back to Android. Personally I'm not impressed with either the EVO or the EPIC so I'm grabbing a Hero off ebay til something I love comes out. If I were to stay with BB I'd def get the Bold. If you don't mind the size of the EVO they say it's a great phone. BB's are better for e-mail and everything but Androids are so much fun! ;)

Upvote 0
Good call. Any idea how many phones you can try?
Could I try the Evo and if I didn't like it try the Epic, and if still not happy, switch to the BB?

Definitely don't mind the size of the Evo. In fact I like the bigger phones.

Than you should like the EVO. I think there is a limit on trade-ins, don't know how many it is though. I'd go for it! ;)

Upvote 0
I don't know what the return limit is, and while I am a huge htc fan, I have heard from a totally reliable source that the epic is an absolutely amazing piece of hardware. It has a new type of processor in it that is blazing fast... can't remember what it is called at the moment... And the screen is the best in the business. I also think that you will miss the physical keyboard if you get the evo. But don't let me sway you, I think that you will be happy with either of these android beasts;)

Upvote 0
You can make your screens look pretty much any way you want them to, there are many apps for doing just that.

As far as the email goes, you don't have to use gmail as your primary acct, you can set it to a different account of your choice. I only use my gmail, but I am pretty sure that you can have multiple email accts set up, using different apps or using the browser and bookmarks, if you want to do it that way. If you use the browser, you won't get notifications of new emails like if you use an app. (email seems to be the one place where BB has android beat, as far as I can tell)

Upvote 0
Regarding one of your 9650 cons, it will actually be upgradeable to OS 6 (but who knows how smoothly that will go over). Now on to Android!

1. I don't have any experience with Mac mail or how it works but generally your primary email doesn't have to be Gmail. You can use the stock non-Gmail email app or use a 3rd party app like MailDroid or K-9.

2. Battery life won't be as good as BlackBerry. You'll have a hard time making it from 8am to midnight unless you do some tweaking and even then you may not make it depending on your use. I have a car charger as insurance ;)

3. Using LauncherPro you can get your screen to look like the one you posted. Sense and TouchWiz are still relevant though because not all UI elements can be turned off like the dialer, contacts, browser, etc. You won't be able to use UI specific widgets though.

4. Check out both the EVO and Epic forums to get an idea about how both phones are. Also go to your Sprint store and spend time with each device to get familiar with both and decide what you do and don't like. When you're ready, make an objective decision :)

Good call. Any idea how many phones you can try?
Could I try the Evo and if I didn't like it try the Epic, and if still not happy, switch to the BB?

Definitely don't mind the size of the Evo. In fact I like the bigger phones.

You're only allowed one exchange in your 30-day window so you would have to decide between the EVO or Epic and then if you're not happy, exchange it for a BB.

The size of the EVO is not bad at all. Fits in my pocket fine...heck I had an extended battery from eBay and I still didn't mind the size.

Reactions: nmulax
Upvote 0
.... BB's are better for e-mail and everything but Androids are so much fun! ;)
LOL I have used Blackberries since 2000, and no, they are pretty much junk.

I still carry one because work requires it. But Android is so much better, for pretty much everything I do.

Blackberry is stuck in the past. I feel like I'm using my old RAZR every time I pull out my Blackberry.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones