• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Might return the my EVO for the Iphone 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. All I do is turn off GPS and turn on Wifi when I'm at home, then turn on GPS and turn of Wifi when I leave, turn the screen to autobrightness, keep 4G off (no coverage where I am anyway), and even with me obsessively using the phone all day it lasts all day. Now I don't sit and watch movies on it or anything but a general days use hasn't been a problem for me. It really strange to me how much this is varying for people.

lol right pple think they can just hop on a phone run Apps like crazy and expect your phone will last ALLLL day.....i dont even have my apps continually running its like tryin to run all your stuff in a house with a small ass generator isnt gonna last as long or put up enough Voltage to keep it going but who cares im just another dude with an Evo lol

Upvote 0
This thread is Moronic. The iPhone is in its 4th generation run, so yes the battery on the iPhone will most likely kick the EVO in the balls. And yes the build quality will be light years ahead of the EVO, Incredible, Aria, etc as well. So all those arguing with anyone about these things, take a SIP of reality juice, because HTC losses in those areas with its American releases. However, the use of at&t is where the epic fail towards the iPhone takes place, in English, they plain out suck these days, case closed. And with all those new activated iPhones on the 24th, look for a crash on that garbage network, that used to be really good.

Any smart individual will sway away from arguing about what OS is better, Android is newer, and fresher, and will only get better with every outing. So in my opinion, Android is the winner in any OS fight right now. But HTC gets the gas face on hardware and build quality, for all those that'll sit and argue, no dice. Apple wins, as does Motorola on that fight.

See I luv the EVO, and the idea of a big, bad ass phone, but if they don't fix these BS build quality flaws, I'm off the train, period end of story. These are real world problems with the screens lifting, non grounded phones, unresponsive screens, crappy batteries. It's all real, and needs fixing...asap! Just for the fact of Apple holding off on releasing the white version of the iPhone at launch, makes me hate them and hate how they just have to try and steal the whole summer release market. So their plan is to release the Black one on the 24th, and then 31 days or so later in July or even August release the White one and try and hurt the Motorola releases with Android? That is just plain stupid, and showing that Apple needs the thunder all summer long to keep rolling. Yes the white version is that nice, anyone who says its not is living in denial.

Which brings me to the real argument. listen people I do like some Apple products, even though Steve Jobs is a modern Hitler, and his way of doing things is sickening. But if u want the claim as the best product, stop blocking Android with your patent wars, and stop blocking at&t from releasing real Android devices. Yes, all you people on at&t need to hear that, the iPhone is the reason you can't buy an at&t branded HTC Legend or Desire from the former most bars network in the land. That's right, there are no serious android competitors for that reason, Steve is scared, and it will sway iPhone numbers in a big way. A true fight would be having an equalily well built HTC Desire with American 3G, going up against the new iPhone, on the same network. Won't happen people , so for now the debate continues.

Upvote 0
Guys I'm getting tired of trying to get good battery, buy doing this and that, adjust this and that, and still getting bad battery, I've tried everything the best I get is 6 hours of battery, that's if I'm lucky. I guess if battery is your need, you must get the iPhone 4.
I really like my evo, but I'm getting just tired of all this adjusting and tricks, to get better battery.

What you guys think ?
Does it really matter what we think??? Not even sure what kind of answer you are looking for......I say go to an iPhone forum and ask them what they think. You might like there answers better........

Upvote 0
I'm getting sick of seeing people say they bought the evo and now they want to return it because of battery life. First of all, my evo lasts longer than my ipod touch when used heavily, including the camera the touch doesn't have, the 3g connection (no 4g yet but soon), etc. etc. Second of all, this is a PDA borderline android netbook/psp all in one that happens to also be able to make phone calls. It's not a phone as it's primary function, and shouldn't be looked at as such.

If you want the best PHONE, get a flip phone with 8 days of battery life and just make calls on it. If you want the best PDA, mobile game, always connected, top of the line productivity device, keep the EVO. They haven't even got froyo 2.2 officially running ont his thing, and impatient iFanboys already want to give it up before any updates can be done. I guess you're the type of people that also are going to give up your ipad right away because the e-mail was hacked on it right or because the safari browser has a HUGE security flaw that hasn't been updated yet. Better drop your iphones and ipads right now, they will NEVER fix it.....

Upvote 0
Guys I'm getting tired of trying to get good battery, buy doing this and that, adjust this and that, and still getting bad battery, I've tried everything the best I get is 6 hours of battery, that's if I'm lucky. I guess if battery is your need, you must get the iPhone 4.
I really like my evo, but I'm getting just tired of all this adjusting and tricks, to get better battery.

What you guys think ?

Door is that way ------>

We won't miss you.

Upvote 0
You make some excellent points sean.

When AT&T moves into a 4G network, the iPhone will have to have dual radios also (ala EVO) and because of that, their battery life will suffer also. And they won't have the option of just slipping in a spare, fully charged, battery.

I'm surprised that htc, knowing that battery life would be an issue, didn't just make the EVO a few mm thicker and install a 2000+ mAh battery. I mean, the phone is pretty big anyway, what's a few more mm's.

Upvote 0
Question? Have you ever had AT&T service before? Have you ever had to deal with AT&T in the event of a problem? I'm sure the IPhone will be nice but OH BABY the thought of going back to AT&T again sends shivers up my spine, never again! It could be the best built handset on the planet but if you cant make a good quality call on it through AT&T its just a paper weight to me then.

Upvote 0

What you guys think ?

I have owned the iPhone 3G and 3GS, and the battery life ain't all that great in them either. I am going to assume that the battery life in the iPhone 4 will be even less. It may be a little better than the EVO, but lets face it... if any device that has all the features that are available these days are going to use drain any battery quicker.

There can only be 2 reasons why you are getting as poor battery usage as you claim to be getting...

1. you have a defective phone or battery.

2. You are constantly using it for all types of things and draining the battery very quickly.

All I did with my EVO is turn off a few things (like vibration features and just some basic things that I don't need), and I can use my EVO all day and still have plenty of battery left.

If you are constantly using your phone for everything all day long, it won't matter what phone you have, your still gonna have the same basic problem depending on how many features the phone has.

First of all just because it has a 8mp camera doesn't means is better than 5mp that has more photons, that makes photos better in low light, I've tried the MY EVO and it sucks in low light. The EVO doesn't have better look, the EVO is just a phone with a huge screen. The iPhone 4 is a beauty peace of art. I believe battery will be awesome, because I had the 3GS and I could go the whole day with out charging it. And that's watching video podcast all the time. And apple products have great battery, laptops, iPad and cellphones. I have charged my EVO 3 times today already. And every company backs the iPhone by making accessories that go hand to hand with the phone, I never see that product Support by a company toward any other phone. And the evo won't be the exception.

I don't know what you are talking about in regards to photons, but an 8MP camera has 3 million more pixels than a 5MP camera.

I love the iPhone, and have been an iPhone user for going on a couple years now, but they are too proprietary. You say that every company backs the iPhone by making accessories that go hand and hand with it, but they have no choice because Apple demands that they make things that way. They control everything. You will not see the AT&T mark anywhere on the iPhone when you turn it on, or even on the phone itself. You also cannot get insurance on the iPhone, so good luck if something happens to it, then you gotta pay full price to get a new one.

Ever wonder why AT&T is the only one who carries the iPhone?

I don't know why, but maybe it's because no other carrier wants to go through all the hassle of dealing with Apple's "better than everybody else's" attitude.

These EVO's are among the first phones to actually give the iPhone a run for their money, and Apple is going to have no choice but to become more compatible with the rest of the world.

You think they would have learned their lesson way back when Microsoft bailed them out in the computer market.

Anyway, thats just MHO.

Upvote 0
I find it interesting that everyone on this forum is so quick to slag off AT&T's network, but I'd take my Evo to AT&T in a heartbeat if I could. Coverage (both voice and data) were far, FAR superior here in Houston on AT&T compared to what I'm seeing with Sprint.

My signal plummets whenever I set foot in a building, any building, with my Evo. It's really pretty horrible. And this is my second Evo unit, I already returned the first for lack of a working 4G radio.

3G speeds are abysmal on Sprint. 500kb max, usually in the 200kb range. That's 2G (Edge) speeds, folks. I was consistently getting over 1mb on AT&T.

I love the phone and the OS, but honestly as much I hate to do it I'm leaning toward going with the new iPhone just for the coverage at this point. I just don't make a lot of calls outdoors...

Upvote 0
I feel your pain Headcase have the same issue with my Evo in Houston.

On the other hand I'm returning my Evo just because it didn't do it for me like I thought. Got the Incredible first so, for me at least, the Evo wasn't like this huge world of difference. (Not bitching It's badass but just dont personally "need" it)

Also my Evo had fine battery life and I'll be damned if I ever go to ATT or get an iphone....just sayin in general.

Upvote 0
This thread is Moronic. The iPhone is in its 4th generation run, so yes the battery on the iPhone will most likely kick the EVO in the balls. And yes the build quality will be light years ahead of the EVO, Incredible, Aria, etc as well.

Competing an EVO against a '4th generation' iPhone perfectly fair. There will never be an EVO 4. By your logic, no phone, will ever be better than the iPhone, unless they release 4 generations or more faster than the iPhone updates.

There are a lot of reasons to go from an EVO to a iPhone 4...the battery is not one of them...
YOU DON'T NEED A HARD RESET EVEN. I CAN CONFIRM, ALL I DID WAS THIS:

press HOME, and bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call"). After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.

Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

What this means is that even though you are connected to a CDMA network, your phone is trying to find a GSM network, preventing the radio from sleeping, and causing excessive battery drain.

Remedy this by tapping GSM auto (prl), and changing it to CDMA auto (prl).

Now your done, your TWS should drop dramatically, and you should experience much better battery life!

THE RESULTS SPEAK FOR ITSELF:
discharge.png

***NOW, WE JUST NEED TO GET THIS TO STICK AFTER A PHONE REBOOT!***

Upvote 0
Battery life has been considerably worse than my 3G, but this phone does far more so I'm not complaining on that front. Some of the tweaks people have posted have definitely helped in that regard as well.

My primary concerns at this point are 3G speeds and lack of Android support compared to IOS support. Like it or not (I personally hate it) but IOS is now the de facto standard mobile OS that people code for. It's unfortunate and I hope that changes in the near future, but I wouldn't count on it.

Good luck going from a 4.3 to a 3.5 screen.

Ugh, I know. Believe me, I know.

Upvote 0
To anyone with battery issues.

I was minutes away from bringing my EVO back to Sprint. I was getting 5 hours with moderate usage.

I followed the battery tweaks on this site and now I'm getting 15-18 hours with moderate usage. If you watch a lot of videos all day or you're a traveling salesman and use your EVO's turn by turn navigation of course you're not going to get that much time out of the battery.

The major things I did are:

1) Turn off all of the "LIVE" crap. You don't need a swirling vortex as your wallpaper.

2) Turn off all that social networking crap. You don't need to be updated every second about what your girlfriend at for lunch. Turn off all that auto-updating foolery.

3) Do the CDMA change so your phone isn't searching for a GSM network.

4) Turn off Google talk from auto logging in. Turn off or disable anything else that is in constant communication with the network.

5) Add the power control widget to the main screen. It's easy to turn on/off wi-fi, GPS, bluetooth. GPS uses a lot of power. How often do you really need it. When you do need it simply tap the button and it's on.

6) Drain you battery all the way until your phone is dead. Charge it for hours until the green LED in the from speaker mesh turns green. Turn your phone back on and charge again until green. Turn of and do it again. Do this several times until the light is green quickly.

With the phone plugged into the charger, do a hard reset. This will reset your phone to the factory state. I suspect that there is some sort of communication problem between the battery and the phone's OS. Go to MENU > SETTINGS > PRIVACY and select "Factory Data Reset".

My phone went from being almost useless because of the battery life to AMAZING.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones