• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Migrate from Windows Mobile to Android

choonhooi

Lurker
Feb 17, 2011
Hi, I have been using WM smartphone (O2 Atom) for the past 8 yrs or so, with all my contacts, calendar, notes and tasks, sync'ed nicely with my outlook on my PC.

Recently, I just got an android phone (Samsung 551), and I having a lot of problems transferring my contacts, calendar, etc to from the O2 to the Samsung.

First, I used the Kies from Samsung to sync, and I have lots of problem. Tho it managed to sync, I am getting a lot of duplicates in the contact list, and duplicates in the calendar. Worst thing is, after the sync'ing, the next time i sync to my outlook on PC, the outlook itself got duplicates. Maybe becos the android do a sync back to outlook with those duplicates. Then, when the outlook syncs with my WM, my WM got duplicates too. I got to disconnect the android, and load in any WM sw to remove the duplicates manually.

Other than this, I found that Kies hangs occationally. I tried other sync sw as well, like Android-Sync, but it seems very slow. I also tried MyPhoneExplorer, and that doesnt work too well either.

Any1 has any suggestions, what is the best way to transfer my contacts and calendar from WM to android?

Thanks

I must say I'm quite disappointed by the way Outlook synchronization is supported :
- by the phone builder : Samsung's Kies is a piece of crap regarding Outlook synchronization
- by the OS writer : Android includes no built-in way of synchronizing directly the android to the PC

So I went in the process of trying to sync my Desktop *and* Laptop Outlooks with my android in a seamless way (at least as seamless as ActiveSync used to do).

It's a harder task than finding the Holy Grail...

I've tested maybe a dozen options, both free and paying.
As of today, I've given up on making a direct sync between my Outlooks and the phone, and I think the best way (or rather, the "least bad way") is to sync my Outlooks with Google's cloud (google mail contacts, google calendar).

I feel I'm pretty close to my purpose; I can keep you updated of my final choice if you want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones