• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Migrating from Droid 1 to Droid X... Questions

kerz187

Lurker
Dec 28, 2010
Hey all! Newb to the forums, but not to Android hacking. My original Motorola Droid died and I'm replacing it this evening with a brand new Droid X. I know there is a stock 2.2 OTA update as of late September, but I'm concerned about the bloat that comes on the machine.

I know when the phone was released in August there were major concerns about the ability to install custom ROMs. Is this still something I should be concerned with?

My ideal course of action would be root --> ROM --> overclock (I hear 1.2ghz with low volt is best). I just don't want any Moto Blur garbage on my phone and want to get as close to stock Froyo as possible (maybe gingerbread soon?!).

My questions are just- I already have RSD Lite installed on my machine from my Droid 1. From what it looks like, there is new a program that I can get that will just give me an option to plug in an hit "root" or "unroot." What is this?

From there, what are my best options for installing ROMs?

And what is the best option for a overclock program? I used SetCPU on my Droid. Is that everyone's preference for the X as well? Or is there something better?

I really appreciate your direction on this!

Aaron K.

Best rooting program: Download z4root 1.3.0 for Android Free - z4root will root your device and enable you to supply system level access to applications that request it. - Softpedia

Best overclock program: Droid Overclock - Android app on AppBrain

Rom recommendations:

The good thing is that newbies have quite a selection of fine roms to play with nowadays. We couldn't always say that.

They are:

1) ApeX 1.3.1
2) Fission 2.4.3
3) Chevy ssx 1.1
4) GummyJar (I haven't tested this one yet, but I've heard super things about it)
5) RubiX

These are all Newbie friendly. There are other good ones, but they are not as stable, so I can't recommend them to you until there are some bug fixes

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums! I made the same switch you're making just a few days ago. I had my OG Droid rooted, overclocked and ROMed. Naturally I had to root this beast asap. Had it rooted the second day I had it. I'm still using SetCPU as I see no reason to switch. If you want a clean stock look, don't even worry about installing a ROM...you can just leave the stock image rooted if you like.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones