Migrating from Palm Treo

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Crell, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Crell

Crell Active Member

Hi folks. I've just gotten my first Android phone (Samsung Vibrant on T-Mobile) and so far so good. However, now comes the fun part: Getting my data over from my Palm Treo 680.

At minimum I want to bring over my Contacts, Calendar, and Memo data. But, there's a few catches:

1) The Treo has never synced with Palm Desktop. Ever. (As far as I remember, anyway. If it did, it was 2.5 years ago.) I'm a Linux desktop user and syncing to Linux from Palm OS 5 was never really that good. So I don't already have an archive of everything backed up elsewhere.

2) I do not want to store everything in GMail. Sorry, much as I may like Android I'm not interested in entrusting my entire life to The Cloud(tm) (aka, turning everything over to a publicly traded corporation that I inherently don't trust to behave properly, nor to give me access to my data as I want). I'm OK with routing through GMail temporarily, but that's not my main mail account nor will it be, and I don't want it to be my main address book.

Yeah, I know, I'm a trouble maker. :)

Now, I figured this would be easy. Both devices have Bluetooth, so I should be able to just BT transfer everything over, right? Well, it works fine for individual Contacts. (I've not tried calendar so far.) But I have somewhere north of 1000 contacts in my Treo, and no particular desire to transfer them individually. The Treo does have a "Send category" command that can do mass transfers, but when I try to do that the Android barfs on the incoming data and gives me a parse error. (Yep, a parse error on the incoming data.)

So, um, yeah. I could use some great suggestions from the great people here. :)

Advertisement