Milestone 2 and Motoblur: Do I get rid of it?Support

Last Updated:

1. rsilves

rsilves Member This Topic's Starter

Hi. I am an Android user since a year ago, currently owning a Motorola Milestone with 2.1.
    I was very excited to know that they will be selling the Milestone 2 in Argentina, but I was surprised that it comes with Motoblur instead of the "stock" Android system.
    My brother owns a Quench with Motoblur but I didn't have time to play with it and understand what it does.

I want to know what the general tech-android users consider about Motoblur, which are the pros, cons, if I should try to avoid it, etc.
    I like the standard Android launcher (I use LauncherPro for its speed), I want to know if I can change it or if Motoblur won't let me.

My brother told me he had to make a Motoblur account to make the Market app work. Is it that way? Is there anyway to disable the Motoblur thing and keep the phone running the same way as my current Android with my Google Account?

I don't wanna root my phone and use any other android distro, but do you think you'd do that if you owned a Motoblur phone? (to get rid of the Motoblur).

Thanks,
    Rodrigo Silvestri

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

I will movethe thread to Milestone 2 forum.

3. dogei22

dogei22 New Member

The easy quick fix is to install the LaucherPro home screen replacement software from the Android Market and use that as default until someone comes up with a working "non-blurred" ROM for the MM2.

4. Szadzik

It is not a fix at all. From what I heard MB keeps running in the background the same as SenseUI. Am I not right?

With a rooted MS2 can one not remove the MB launcher?

5. dogei22

dogei22 New Member

Yes, it will run in the background but you'll not have to look at it ;-)

6. Szadzik

Has anyone rooted their MS2 and tried removing the stock launcher? Does that remove the whole MB thing?

I will get mine in3-4 weeks and that will be the first thing to try.

7. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

I haven't bothered trying. LauncherPro on top and using as little of the MB accounts/synching stuff as possible. Seems fine that way to me.

8. Dead Cell

Dead Cell Member

After Rooting and messing around I too have decided to just stick with the damn gayblur as there aren't any clean Stock Roms out there! I hard reset the device and skipped gayblur setup and just signed in to Google. I do miss stock Android though even though I have LauncherPro installed and everything setup just as it was on my Milestone 1, there's still something about the Milestone 2 that I don't like!

Motorola should just have gone bankrupt and Sanjay Jha deported back to India! Getting too big for their boots! :(

9. JS_Winston

JS_Winston New Member

People worry about MotoBlur way to much. It really is just a launcher with account integration. If you don't like it, no problem.
    Go ahead and create a MotoBlur account, but don't add any other accounts. Than load up a different launcher (like LauncherPro or Sweeter Home). After that, it is just like another other Android phone except you have the special Motorola widgets (which are resizable so they are nice).

MotoBlur does not run in the background unless you enable your other accounts and have it run.

You'll like the Motorola widgets though, being resizable is really handy.

And yes, I have done all this on my M2. My google account integrated without issue (even my purchased apps moved over). Use AppBrain and you can move all your apps over easily to your new phone.

cdl and sazoo like this.
  10. Szadzik

I will have my MS2 within a week and will see how that goes, but definitely LPP is what I will be using.

11. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

What he said ^

It's workable.

12. Szadzik

If it is workabe, does it mean it is just OK, or is it a real improvement over MS1?

13. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

I would rather have stock Android, any day.

I really think that an upgrade from a MS1 to an MS2 is not going to be worth it. Sure the MS2 is more powerful but there is really not much difference.

14. Szadzik

I will see in a week when I get mine. I do not have to keep mine for a very long time like some people. I think that I will get something new in spring as soon as dual core/ 2GHz CPUs start popping up or as soon as a good tablet like Notion Ink Adam come out.

15. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

My thinking exactly.

I plan to have the MS2 until there's something much better.

I fancy a nice big screen (with a higher resolution than currently available) and a dual core processor. When something like that comes along (be that spring or summer), then I'll jump ship.

16. sazoo

sazoo New Member

Hi!

Ok, I understand, what u Wrote with motoblur settings. I restarted the phone, but when i want to use the market, the google popup ask me the google account. My question: If i set the account here, the motoblur (and the background data send) will work again, or the google account use only to the market?

Thank U the reply!

Bye: sazoo