Milestone, first impressionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. jbsm

jbsm Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I finally got my Milestone last night (2.0 and no update to 2.01 yet) :) The initial impression is very positive, a great leap forward from the N95. Though I am missing some stuff like:

1) screensaver without backlight but showing at least a clock (date, weather would be a plus)
    I wonder if it is not possible to de-activate the touch only and leave the screen on. The backlight is what it uses the most energy. Of course the phone could not go into full sleep mode, meaning that would reduce battery life.

2) java apps
    I tried the Netmite J2ME MIDP RUNNER 1.7.0.2, but when I try the option "Go to URL" nothing happens. There is an app which I used very much with my N95 to determine the fastest way with public transport from A-B, which is only available to iPhone and a java version.
    It seems the J2ME app can only install apps from their list (I did not try any though).

3) facebook integration with contacts
    I found in a forum a version that has this option, but it does not work properly. Does not sync the photos, nor the status with my contact list, and then places several links in the contacts to the facebook profile of that specific contact. Got to uninstall and install the normal one.
    I would like something like HTC or future SE X10, where the contacts info are actually merged from gmail and facebook, i.e with the normal stuff+facebook status and photos.

It seems the slider is a little bit flimsy (though nothing compared to the N95 8Gb), but there has to be always some mechanic tolerance in such mechanism.

I am very positively surprised with the keyboard - I think it is actually very good. And then it is great to have such a large physical QWERTY keyboard when one has to write messages and e-mail in 3 different languages...:rolleyes:

I'm glad Moto is back in the game! :D

J

Advertisement
  2. deadite66

deadite66 Well-Known Member

when i found a jar file and clicked on the downloaded file in the browser i had an option to install it. check out swype you may never use the h/w keyboard again.

3. jbsm

jbsm Member This Topic's Starter

I was trying to open a jad file which had only the url to the jar location. When I pointed the browser to this url I could download the jar...still Netmite J2ME could not convert it to apk, it came up with an error.

I'll try swype later, which is not in the market yet, but can be googled...I just tried for a few seconds "shapewriter" which is based on the same concept...now I just need to have dictionaries of 3 languages. But I think I'll still prefer the hw keyboard for longer e-mails. Let's see that if I'll change my mind after trying this a bit more.

Another thing that has already annoyed me and has been annoying many others is the web browser lack of flash support...it somehow limits me.

J