Milestone in USA OTA updates questionGeneral

Last Updated:

1. jalonzo

jalonzo Member This Topic's Starter

I'm thinking about selling my Nokia N900, and unless the Nexus One blows me away.. i am getting a Moto Milestone. I know it will only work on Edge here in the states. My question is when it comes to the updates, will they work here in the states? The only reason i ask is because the updates are done OTA. Would i still get them Is it the carrier or Motorola who is pushing down the updates? Any US users using this phone please chime in and let me know how it performs on Edge. Honestly, 90% of the time my N900 which is on T-Mobile is connected to Edge so i rarely get 3G speeds. my HTC hero was decent on at&t edge.

Advertisement
  2. mpmilestogo

mpmilestogo Member

Not quite sure how this is going to work. Same questions with no answers have been asked on the "official" moto forums for milestone. I bought the milestone for use in the USA from amazon so I am not sure whether the OTA updater will ever work. Some folks say it will though. I would hope that Milestone places an update.zip file on their public support pages and make you type in some unique number for the phone or something. That's what HTC does to get "official" updates.

I doubt seriously that phones purchased from amazon here in the states will get updates OTA for some reason. I don't have any inside information; just a feelling after reading some of the posts here and there on milestone support forums.

Main thing I want is root on the phone so I can use market enabler and backup for root. No real answer to your question; because I think no one really knows. Except maybe motorola. Perhaps they don't even know and are inventing it as they go :)

3. jalonzo

jalonzo Member This Topic's Starter

honestly i would prefer loading the updates like HTC Does. I would rather run the update myself from a PC. Hopefully this will be available either from Motorola or someone else. I want to Root the device, seeing that the DROID already has been rooted with 2.1 its only a matter of time until Milestone users get that ROM... well i hope so anyway.

4. linuxwarrior

linuxwarrior Member

That is actually incorrect, you need to get a LatAm Milestone - not the european one - and. You will be able to do 3G on 850 & 1900 umts freqs. Mine in Argentina does 3G. By the way it works decently on edge too (I'm away from home for the holidays and only get edge here).
    Good luck with your Milestone

5. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

It would be EDGE anyways for him since no version of the Milestone supports T-Mobile.