• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Milestone or Wait for Desire

You have no clue and just keep posting around about how bad moto support is. Looks like you are the only person with this problem.

And you? Tell me how much you know? nothing! Im now getting fed up with moto and its faulty phone - the milestone. Why should I have bought such an expensive device with too many silly problems like alarm, music sound and call quality? We are logging complaints on moto's site and silence and ignorance are all that we get. They are only focusing on droid and new phones which are earning them huge profits, leaving us MS users behind fixes and new updates.

Don't tell me you are not aware of those said above. smartphone like MS should be renamed as rubbish. To the extent of its design, I must agree that it looks great. But I and many more people, we don't wanna trade issues and malfunctions and money for such beauty.

Upvote 0
And you? Tell me how much you know? nothing! Im now getting fed up with moto and its faulty phone - the milestone. Why should I have bought such an expensive device with too many silly problems like alarm, music sound and call quality? We are logging complaints on moto's site and silence and ignorance are all that we get. They are only focusing on droid and new phones which are earning them huge profits, leaving us MS users behind fixes and new updates.

Enough not to just complain all the time.

Don't tell me you are not aware of those said above. smartphone like MS should be renamed as rubbish. To the extent of its design, I must agree that it looks great. But I and many more people, we don't wanna trade issues and malfunctions and money for such beauty.

I am aware but have not experienced any of them.

Both alarm and music are fixable in 10-15 minutes.

I have not heard of call quality issues.

Upvote 0
You have no clue and just keep posting around about how bad moto support is. Looks like you are the only person with this problem.

OK, this is your opinion from you about me...

But i can have an opinion too right?

At this point, i wouldnt even give my phone for free to any member of my family or to a good friend of mine... Because i know from before that is not worth it...

Forums are here to post personal opinions, and the above is mine...

Upvote 0
OK, this is your opinion from you about me...

But i can have an opinion too right?

At this point, i wouldnt even give my phone for free to any member of my family or to a good friend of mine... Because i know from before that is not worth it...

Forums are here to post personal opinions, and the above is mine...

So apart from complaining, what have you done to fix those issues you had?

Upvote 0
So apart from complaining, what have you done to fix those issues you had?

I am an accountant... My job is to fix the financials of other people businesses.
Some other people have the responsibility of fixing my phone - that they have sold to me and to million others with major faults...

Unfortunately i didnt see any sign before buying the phone saying "Please note that any faults of the firmware after purchasing the phone is not Motorola's responsibility..."

I have tried in the past week to find an easy way to backup the phone and then install a firmware... Sony Ericsson and Nokia have official products for backing up the files. But i dont want to risk this with Motorola, as there isnt an official software for backing up files, and it would be a major issue for me to lose now what i have on the phone...

Upvote 0
I am an accountant... My job is to fix the financials of other people businesses.
Some other people have the responsibility of fixing my phone - that they have sold to me and to million others with major faults...

That is the way with smartphones and it has always been like this. If you ever find a product without faults, let me know, it will be the first one I will hear about.

What is there to back up? Most applications have bullt-in backup capabilities.

Aps will be in the Market so no use in backing them up.

Upvote 0
Off-topic:
OH MY GOD fekish! You shouldn't even be here. Go buy a Nokia 1110, I think it would work better for you.

Hmmm, let me see ... the Nexus One does not have an official backup program, the Desire does not have an official backup program, the ... wait, NONE of the Android phones have an official backup program. It's probably because it's meant for people who know how to find alternatives and

If you want something that is ready to use out of the box, read the first paragraph of this post.

It's called A SMART PHONE for a reason like Szadzik already explained.

On-topic:
Both mentioned phones are great. Go to the store and try each one out. I think you can work out which would work best for you.
I myself can't have a phone without a physical keyboard.

Upvote 0
Sell it and stop whining.

Mate, i really dont understand what the problem is with you?

Do you have any shares in Motorola LTD? Or you live in a communist country where they instruct you "love and adore Motorola"?

Someone asked about Milestone, and i am saying my opinion from what i see on my phone! That's it... If i am whining, then ok i am whining and i will continue whining then as long as i can! :eek:

Upvote 0
Off-topic:
OH MY GOD fekish! You shouldn't even be here. Go buy a Nokia 1110, I think it would work better for you.

Hmmm, let me see ... the Nexus One does not have an official backup program, the Desire does not have an official backup program, the ... wait, NONE of the Android phones have an official backup program. It's probably because it's meant for people who know how to find alternatives and

If you want something that is ready to use out of the box, read the first paragraph of this post.

It's called A SMART PHONE for a reason like Szadzik already explained.

On-topic:
Both mentioned phones are great. Go to the store and try each one out. I think you can work out which would work best for you.
I myself can't have a phone without a physical keyboard.

Then i guess this is the last Android phone i am getting probably...
BIGGEr brands give more attention to ALL customers rather than young geeks who continiously want to custom their phones...

Upvote 0
Mate, i really dont understand what the problem is with you?

Do you have any shares in Motorola LTD? Or you live in a communist country where they instruct you "love and adore Motorola"?

Someone asked about Milestone, and i am saying my opinion from what i see on my phone! That's it... If i am whining, then ok i am whining and i will continue whining then as long as i can! :eek:

1. You are not expressing your opinion; you are whining. It is not the first time you are doing this. Not only you are whining but also refusing to spend 2-3 hours to back up your stuff and fix it yourself, even though you know there is a way to do it and it is not rocket science - no one was born with knowledge about anything - everyone has to learn how to do thing before they know how to do it.

2. I have nothing to do with Motorola and am not their fan. I used to say that when all manufacturers go bankrupt I will then buy a Motorola phone when there is no other choice. I was in the market for a new phone however, and read lots of reviews and decided that it was the best smartphone with a physical keyboard at the time. And I still think it is the best.

3. There is no problem with me, I just hate people who always complain, but never do anything to correct the stuff they complain about - people like you.

Upvote 0
1. You are not expressing your opinion; you are whining. It is not the first time you are doing this. Not only you are whining but also refusing to spend 2-3 hours to back up your stuff and fix it yourself, even though you know there is a way to do it and it is not rocket science - no one was born with knowledge about anything - everyone has to learn how to do thing before they know how to do it.

2. I have nothing to do with Motorola and am not their fan. I used to say that when all manufacturers go bankrupt I will then buy a Motorola phone when there is no other choice. I was in the market for a new phone however, and read lots of reviews and decided that it was the best smartphone with a physical keyboard at the time. And I still think it is the best.

3. There is no problem with me, I just hate people who always complain, but never do anything to correct the stuff they complain about - people like you.

Then i suppose you are the kind of person that phone companies adore to have!

Motorola would say
"Thanks Szadzik, we give you a crappy phone, we'll do very little for you, and of course you can search in the web, write in forums morning, afternoon, and night, and thus you will not need our help any more on fixing the phone... Forget the money you have sent and your life outside the phone! Just live in the forums finding ways to make your phone better and you will "enjoy" your life!"

Upvote 0
Then i suppose you are the kind of person that phone companies adore to have!

Motorola would say
"Thanks Szadzik, we give you a crappy phone, we'll do very little for you, and of course you can search in the web, write in forums morning, afternoon, and night, and thus you will not need our help any more on fixing the phone... Forget the money you have sent and your life outside the phone! Just live in the forums finding ways to make your phone better and you will "enjoy" your life!"

I have no idea about the 'crappy' part as I have had no issues with the phone whatsoever! For me it is a great device!

If I had problems though, I would not just sit and wait for something to happen, I would search the Net and find a solution - fix it. Definitely I would not be whining about it in ever other thread.

If the fault was not fixable I would simply return the phone and get another one.

Whining does not help!

Upvote 0
I must admit, since I upgraded to the official Telus 2.1 Android on my Milestone I have been having annoying issue. These are nothing that cripples the phone it's self, just minor annoyances. That being said this being my first Android phone I can not say if it's the phone or Telus' version of Android.

HOWEVER! I know I could likely fix this by rooting my phone and dropping in an unbranded version of Android with the appropriate fixes, or I can wait and see if Telus releases said fix.

So yes my music will some times play erroneously when I disconnect my bluetooth, but for now I am keeping my phone stock with an increasing lean toward rooting as I get the increasing feeling this may be needed.

Would be nice if we had something like the Linux "sudo" command so that we could temporarily root the phone at our leisure.

Upvote 0
Now i went to find a solution in order not to call me a whiner:cool:

But based on this threaad in order to do a backup i would need to root the phone...
http://androidforums.com/all-things...up-milstone-stock-rom-prior-modification.html

When i root the phone i lose everything on the phone right?

So how can i proceed from here, as you said it is very easy...

You don't loose anything when rooting if you're smart. Try installing a backup program on your phone than copy the backed up data from your phone to your computer.

And BTW, if you have a google account set on your phone, your contacts, calendar entries, apps bought from the market and other personal data get automatically backed up and restored after a fresh install. Just be sure to make a sync before you mess with the phone.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Now i went to find a solution in order not to call me a whiner:cool:

But based on this threaad in order to do a backup i would need to root the phone...
http://androidforums.com/all-things...up-milstone-stock-rom-prior-modification.html

When i root the phone i lose everything on the phone right?

So how can i proceed from here, as you said it is very easy...

You do not lose anything while rooting. Rooting is only about flashing the vulnerable recovery and applying an update.zip. 10 minutes of work.

Upvote 0
The misconception here is that most of the Milestone rooting guides floating around (such as the sticky on the "All Things Root" subforum here) assume that you need to upgrade to 2.1 at the same time, so the first step in these guides is to use RSD to flash their carrier's latest 2.1, which does indeed wipe everything.

Upvote 0
Oh, and for those of you on the fence about the Milestone because you don't like the keyboard (but love the build quality, the LCD screen, etc), there seems to be a good supply of Milestone XT701's coming into North America, and the HK version will work with AT&T, Rogers, Telus, Bell, and Fido.

The unit is basically a Milestone without a keyboard, and a Xenon flash instead of LED, and it's 5mm thinner (making it about the same thickness as a Desire), but with much better build quality than a Desire/N1.

They can be rooted and the bootloader is unlocked (though no custom ROMs for it yet). The Milestone overclock.apk works fine on it, btw, with the same results typical of Milestone/Droids (reliable 1ghz).

The trick is to find the proper Hong Kong version that works on 850/1900 for 3G. A good seller (ebay or otherwise) can tell you this before you buy it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones