• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Milestone or Wait for Desire

Upvote 0
Ok i have rooted my phone and i updated it to the UK service version, as i had the italian one. i am also using a program from market for overlock.

Honestly, is like having a different phone:
before, 1 every 3 phonecalls the phone restarted, now is ok.
before, when i wanted to search for a contact it took me 25 seconds and 1 every 5 times the phone restarded, now is ok.
didnt check the alarm yet as i am using a different program.
in general the phone seems to be faster.
Is there a reason why it takes ages to restart or just start up? now it takes much longer than the very first time that i started the phone!

I dont know if it is because of the uk version or because of the overlock, that makes the phone looking a totally different one...

Thanks for the tips, because i had already started looking for another phone!

Upvote 0
The misconception here is that most of the Milestone rooting guides floating around (such as the sticky on the "All Things Root" subforum here) assume that you need to upgrade to 2.1 at the same time, so the first step in these guides is to use RSD to flash their carrier's latest 2.1, which does indeed wipe everything.

There is actually two options where one is that it dont wipe the user data partition. After rooting.... all my photos and other stuff I put on it was still on there.

Upvote 0
Anything put on the SDCARD will remain on the SDCARD and it doesn't matter what you do to the phone. So yes, your pictures are in the dcim folder on the SDCARD and will remain there until you delete them or format the SDCARD. The same goes for other media and personal files. SDCARD is untouched during flashing - except for writing some generic system stuff to it.

Upvote 0
Memory does seem to be an issue and Launcher Pro seems to be getting more bloated as time goes on.

Now, to be fair, the developer acknowledges this and has introduced some new memory management options - but I still find that it has to re-load quite often. Usually when I'm in a rush to find/check something, or when I am showing something to someone else (and then they can suddenly think; boy, isn't Android slow).

It's annoying. I'd like a decent home screen that could always remain loaded (clearly, Launcher Pro is still killed when memory drops below a certain level - irrespective of the menu settings) no matter what. Does the developer need to do something (CAN the developer do something) to get it to be run as a higher priority? I am not a developer, but I can see there are a list of priorities when shutting down apps, with varying levels of free memory to trigger the shut down.

This is, to me, the biggest problem on the Milestone (stock model, not overclocked or hacked) as the phone is NOT slow but seems to be due to lagging issues. I can only hope and pray that 2.2 will speed things up massively.

Upvote 0
Memory does seem to be an issue and Launcher Pro seems to be getting more bloated as time goes on.

Now, to be fair, the developer acknowledges this and has introduced some new memory management options - but I still find that it has to re-load quite often. Usually when I'm in a rush to find/check something, or when I am showing something to someone else (and then they can suddenly think; boy, isn't Android slow).

It's annoying. I'd like a decent home screen that could always remain loaded (clearly, Launcher Pro is still killed when memory drops below a certain level - irrespective of the menu settings) no matter what. Does the developer need to do something (CAN the developer do something) to get it to be run as a higher priority? I am not a developer, but I can see there are a list of priorities when shutting down apps, with varying levels of free memory to trigger the shut down.

This is, to me, the biggest problem on the Milestone (stock model, not overclocked or hacked) as the phone is NOT slow but seems to be due to lagging issues. I can only hope and pray that 2.2 will speed things up massively.

You sure this is the best place to ask these questions? Have you already notified the devloper of the issues you are having? Maybe you should.

Upvote 0
You sure this is the best place to ask these questions? Have you already notified the devloper of the issues you are having? Maybe you should.

You are right. Perhaps I should, although I didn't mean to single out the developer of LauncherPro (which I use and recommend to everyone - and accept it's a work in progress) and was meaning my comments to include all of the third party home screen apps, and indeed the Motorola one.

It might not even be just down to LauncherPro, but perhaps something else running that is eating up memory. I have some suspicions that it could be DolphinHD that causes other things to quit, as that's an app I use quite regularly.

Upvote 0
I never had an issue with Launcher pro, during last couple of weeks that i have been using it...
Before rooting i had continuously reboots, but after rooting, i had just 1 reboot but no FC of launcher pro... and no lag at all after i changed in options in working continuously in background...

Upvote 0
I definitely think my problem is down to other apps stealing too much memory, and the fact that LauncherPro (even with the 'keep in memory' setting) is ordered to shut down too easily.

Certain core functions, like what you have set as a the home screen/menu, phonebook or whatever else you want instant access to, should be elevated to a status that can't be shut down. The current way is similar to how many/most Symbian phones operate - where the first time you bring up the keypad, it must 'load' as an app. People don't want that delay!

On my phone, I should have instant access to:

a) Contacts
b) Keypad/dialling
c) SMS client (I use Handcent)
d) Home screen/menu

Beyond that, I can accept other things may quit as I need memory, web browser, Twitter, media player etc. I can live with that.

Upvote 0
I definitely think my problem is down to other apps stealing too much memory, and the fact that LauncherPro (even with the 'keep in memory' setting) is ordered to shut down too easily.

Certain core functions, like what you have set as a the home screen/menu, phonebook or whatever else you want instant access to, should be elevated to a status that can't be shut down. The current way is similar to how many/most Symbian phones operate - where the first time you bring up the keypad, it must 'load' as an app. People don't want that delay!

On my phone, I should have instant access to:

a) Contacts
b) Keypad/dialling
c) SMS client (I use Handcent)
d) Home screen/menu

Beyond that, I can accept other things may quit as I need memory, web browser, Twitter, media player etc. I can live with that.

In this case maybe you would need to get Advanced Task Manager and set up an exclude list with those apps you want running at all times and set a list of apps you do not want running to be auto-killed?

Upvote 0
For a man - Milestone
For a woman/ mom - Desire

Ive had a milestone for three months now and its just the best phone i could hope for. Its solid. Especially now that it is easily overclocked.

Got the Desire for my mom a few weeks back and personally i found Sense UI really annoying - especially the dialler. Also, it sometimes looses connection in areas where the operator has low signal and switches to internal roaming.

(This is actually a common technique used by many operators around the world - the switch does not count as roaming and your phone will still say youre connected to your own network).

Personally i didnt like the amoled screen either - its really ugly when set to low brightness. And quite frankly its not all that gread in direct sunlight either.

Upvote 0
Task managers can help (and I've used them) but they take memory in themselves, and don't eliminate the problem by any means. Apps still quit when forced to, and you don't want to have the task killer being too obtrusive by killing everything all the time.

I guess the solution is to wait until 2.2 and hope it manages memory better. Ultimately, I suppose we'll need a device with more memory in the first place. What a shame you can't use your memory card for 'virtual memory' as you could on Nokia's Internet Tablets!

Also, I prefer TFT screens. The Super AM-OLED screen on the Wave/Galaxy S is a big improvement, but OLED screens are bad in daylight and I use my phone quite a lot outdoors. Funnily enough, with the recent good weather, it's going to be even more of an issue for the coming summer months!

Upvote 0
Wow - even before I wrote a thing to the developers, I see this:

The new 0.6.3 version of LauncherPro Beta is now available in the Android Market. It focuses mainly on bugfixes, stability and performance, but also adds a couple of new features.

Here’s what’s new:
Removed some useless memory usage in the dock. Should improve stability.
Fixed a bug when scrolling to a dock that had all its shortcuts set to Blank.
Fixed a force-close issue when installing/updating/uninstalling apps from the Market. I haven’t been able to reproduce this problem so I’m not 100% sure it’s fixed, but it should be.
Fixed force-close when choosing custom dock icons on certain phones (mainly HTC Sense phones)
Fixed force-close when scrolling the app drawer before it had finished opening (I think that was only a problem on Android 2.2).
Added a “Motorola Droid hack” option under General Settings inside the preferences. If you have a Motorola Droid or Milestone, you should check this for improved scrolling performance. If you’re running a custom ROM, you might want to check the performance with this on and off, if there’s no visible difference in scrolling smoothness, disable it.
Fixed the dockbar sometimes randomly switching to a non-default dock, even if dock scrolling is disabled.
Fixed the dockbar switching to the default dock on orientation change.
New option to select the number of docks. You can choose 1, 2, or 3 docks.
The “Enable dock scrolling” option has been removed. If you want to disable dock scrolling, set the number of docks to 1.
New option to use your phone’s trackball to switch homescreens. It’s under Homescreen Settings in the preferences.

And, now it seems to be ultra fast and not exiting at all!! Result - and a definite MUST DOWNLOAD for everyone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones