Milestone, very hign Wi-Fi ping times.Support

Last Updated:

1. e7107

e7107 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I've had my Motorola Milestone for just under a week now and although an excellent handset, I like others, am experiencing some Wi-Fi problems , usually just refusing to communicate (although still apparently connected), this is resolved by turning Wi-Fi off in the handset, and then back on again.

But the main problem is latency being extremely high, usually around 800ms but up to 1400ms, making browsing ect over Wi-Fi feel slower than over HSDPA.

The latency was determined by pinging the handset from a wired Ethernet computer from the command prompt.

I upgraded from Android 2.0 to 2.0.1 over the air hoping that it would resolve the problem, which it didn't, and then to 2.1 from And Developers, but the problem still persists.

I've also tried pinging my iPod touch, which produced a time of around 250ms and my Samsung Galaxy Portal (Android 1.5) which had also had a latency of around 250ms.

So it would seem that the problem is inherent to the Milestone rather than Android handsets in general?

I'm using a US Robitics 5450 802.11g Access Point, and the signal strength is good. Pinging the Access Point itself from a wired Ethernet computer produced a latency of less than 1ms, and I do not have any issues with any other Wi-FI connected devices on my network.

I've yet to attempt pinging my Milestone from a different Wi-Fi AP.

Has anyone else her had similar latency issues, and have you had any luck resolving the problem?

Thanks,
    Steven

Advertisement
  2. e7107

e7107 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I've overcome, but not solved the issue.

I gave up with the US Robotics Access point, and have installed a couple of BT Homehub's which I had in the loft.

All but the Wi-FI functions on the Homehub's have been disabled, they work very well and have reduced the ping times to less than 200ms on all of my Wi-Fi connected gismo's. The only downsides are reduced signal strength and the lack of replaceable antenni, fortunately I had two, so I installed one down stairs and one up, currently getting very good or excellent signal strength throughout the house.

I can recommend v1 BT Homehub's to any Milestone user with Wi-Fi issues, they can be found second hand, in local paper / trade-it ect or at boot-sales for just a few pounds, BT internet is not required and they are easily connected to your existing network.

Hope this can help someone.

Steven