Milestone WiFi ProblemSupport

Last Updated:

1. JafoFubar

JafoFubar Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,
    First, thanks for a great site. I have found a lot of help here and I really appreciate it.
    I just got my Milestone a few days ago. I rooted it. Everything is fine except I can't get my WiFi working properly. If I have it set to DHCP, it won't get an address. If I set it to static, it connects to the router but not to the internet. I searched on these forums and did a general google search and have found lots of threads about it but no solution that I can see. Is this a bug that can't/won't be fixed?
    A little info
    Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/23/10) mega - build 14311
    I'm using 128 bit WEP
    I can connect to my neighbor's unprotected wireless and connect to the internet ok on his network but can't on my WEP network.

Any ideas would be appreciated
    TIA

Advertisement
  2. mixpix

mixpix Well-Known Member

Did you put your routers IP address in as the gateway?

3. mixpix

mixpix Well-Known Member

Did you put your routers IP address in as the gateway? (When doing manual setup)

4. JafoFubar

Yes I did. I also tried my router, opendns servers and google servers as the dns servers.
    Thanks for the quick reply

5. mixpix

mixpix Well-Known Member

Well since you can connect to other networks without a problem its probably your router.

Try disabling WEP and see if you can connect.

6. JafoFubar

OK. I'll try that. I have put it in a DMZ but that didn't work.
    Thanks

7. JafoFubar

I disable WEP and just ran an open network and it connects fine. Other threads have suggested using WPA so I tried that. I had tried it before but it didn't work. I must have set something up wrong before because it works now. I guess either Android or Motorola has a problem with WEP. One of my laptops doesn't support WPA so now it won't connect. I guess it's time to upgrade the NIC on that laptop anyway.
    Anyway, the Milestone works now.
    Thanks for the help!

8. mixpix

mixpix Well-Known Member

It might have just been the router screwing up. I bet if you switch it back to WEP it will work.

9. JafoFubar

Nah. Tried that. There's a lot of threads out there saying Android or Milestone has problems with WEP. I likely just fat fingered something when I tried to set up WPA. WEP is kind of ancient in security terms anyway so maybe Android/Milestone decided it wasn't secure enough and decided not to support it. Who knows. At least I got it working. Now on to the next problem :)
    Thanks again.