• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Milestone WiFi Problem

Hi all,
First, thanks for a great site. I have found a lot of help here and I really appreciate it.
I just got my Milestone a few days ago. I rooted it. Everything is fine except I can't get my WiFi working properly. If I have it set to DHCP, it won't get an address. If I set it to static, it connects to the router but not to the internet. I searched on these forums and did a general google search and have found lots of threads about it but no solution that I can see. Is this a bug that can't/won't be fixed?
A little info
Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/23/10) mega - build 14311
I'm using 128 bit WEP
I can connect to my neighbor's unprotected wireless and connect to the internet ok on his network but can't on my WEP network.

Any ideas would be appreciated
TIA

I disable WEP and just ran an open network and it connects fine. Other threads have suggested using WPA so I tried that. I had tried it before but it didn't work. I must have set something up wrong before because it works now. I guess either Android or Motorola has a problem with WEP. One of my laptops doesn't support WPA so now it won't connect. I guess it's time to upgrade the NIC on that laptop anyway.
Anyway, the Milestone works now.
Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
Nah. Tried that. There's a lot of threads out there saying Android or Milestone has problems with WEP. I likely just fat fingered something when I tried to set up WPA. WEP is kind of ancient in security terms anyway so maybe Android/Milestone decided it wasn't secure enough and decided not to support it. Who knows. At least I got it working. Now on to the next problem :)
Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones