• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Milestone with Droid hacks?

WTFboom

Lurker
Mar 4, 2010
I am looking to get a Motorola Milestone for AT&T. I was wondering if the Droid bootanimations/MetaMorph themes/widgets/other stuff works on the Milestone. Does anybody who has a Milestone know?

Thanks

Also, I read somewhere that you can get Google Navigation. Does that still work?

anything that requires editing of the boot partition will not work basically.

as far as i know nobody has 2.1 working properly on milestone. there are some apps from 2.1 that have eben ported to run on 2.0.1 but they don't run flawlessly. i had a bunch of force closes and errors when i tried them out but they can be used just to see what they're ognna be like when the update heads our way.
there was a video posted on engadget yesterday of an early build of 2.1 for milestone running and it looked to be pretty bad ass so i'm looking forward to the update.l

Upvote 0
I'm sure the question is "How do I know if the software I want to run will work on the milestone, since we can't hack our bootloader?"

For example, I'd like to be able to run the Cisco VPN app that's available on the market. But the app mentions needing a custom rom, and since I can't run a custom rom...

That said, I'm thinking by unlocking Super User access, it may be distinctly possible to run the VPN code I'd like... it will probably require some testing, etc... but it seems like it should be possible. Will need help, and unfortunately the most posts about Milestone root access are on AllDroid.org, where I STILL haven't been able to create an account to POST with, only to login. I never get the e-mail to activate the account and post.

Any VPN assistance for my milestone would be GREATLY appreciated... and might convince me to go ahead and root my Milestone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones