Milestone with Droid hacks?

Last Updated:

1. WTFboom

WTFboom Member This Topic's Starter

I am looking to get a Motorola Milestone for AT&T. I was wondering if the Droid bootanimations/MetaMorph themes/widgets/other stuff works on the Milestone. Does anybody who has a Milestone know?

Thanks

Also, I read somewhere that you can get Google Navigation. Does that still work?

Advertisement
  2. hef

hef Well-Known Member

as far as i can tell pretty much everything that works on the droid that doesnt require bootloader access works fine on the milestone too.

i have the nexus one boot animation just now. my next tweak is gonna be making my own animation.

3. WTFboom

how do u know if it doesnt need a bootloader? I dont want to mess something up.

What about 2.1? Anybody got that working?

4. hef

hef Well-Known Member

anything that requires editing of the boot partition will not work basically.

as far as i know nobody has 2.1 working properly on milestone. there are some apps from 2.1 that have eben ported to run on 2.0.1 but they don't run flawlessly. i had a bunch of force closes and errors when i tried them out but they can be used just to see what they're ognna be like when the update heads our way.
    there was a video posted on engadget yesterday of an early build of 2.1 for milestone running and it looked to be pretty bad ass so i'm looking forward to the update.l

5. WTFboom

So... how do i know if a hack i want to preform edits the boot partition?

6. hef

hef Well-Known Member

i don't understand the question.

how could you not know if a hack you are gonna do edits the boot partition?

7. merkman

merkman Active Member

I'm sure the question is "How do I know if the software I want to run will work on the milestone, since we can't hack our bootloader?"

For example, I'd like to be able to run the Cisco VPN app that's available on the market. But the app mentions needing a custom rom, and since I can't run a custom rom...

That said, I'm thinking by unlocking Super User access, it may be distinctly possible to run the VPN code I'd like... it will probably require some testing, etc... but it seems like it should be possible. Will need help, and unfortunately the most posts about Milestone root access are on AllDroid.org, where I STILL haven't been able to create an account to POST with, only to login. I never get the e-mail to activate the account and post.

Any VPN assistance for my milestone would be GREATLY appreciated... and might convince me to go ahead and root my Milestone.

8. Ashtrix

Ashtrix New Member

LifeInAnalog likes this.
  9. beflythis

beflythis Active Member

what's the consensus on this?? will droid-designed froyo 2.2 ROMS (like cyanogen) work on the milestone? I tried to flash one via an update.zip, and i got a bootloader error (yes im rooted). I presumed it was a hardware thing...

are they totally compatible?

beflythis

10. MiRaGe

MiRaGe Well-Known Member

Do you still have working phone after you've done this? I've heard that flashing Droid
    ROM on Milestone kill the last..

11. beflythis

beflythis Active Member

it was when i first started rooting, so i'm not sure I attempted it properly, but yeah - my phone is fine.

If that's what you've heard, then I wouldn't suggest trying though. It's possible I didn't do it properly and got lucky.

beflythis