Mini MicroSD Reader for Android Smartphones & Tablets on Kickstarter

1. jangofei

jangofei Member

Lanuch order now!!!!
    http://www.meenova.com/

There is a project--Mini MicroSD Reader for Android Smartphones & Tablets on Kickstarter. Copy introduce from Kickstarter.
    Mini MicroSD Reader for Android Smartphones & Tablets by Andy & Rich — Kickstarter
    An external card reader that enables you to use MicroSD card on your Nexus/Android tablets and Android smartphones.

It works with the following devices:

Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, Note, Note 2; Class 1 support.
    Motorola RAZR M, RAZR HD, RAZR MAXX HD; Class 1 support.
    HTC One X+, Evo 4G LTE (Sprint), DROID DNA; Class 1 support.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Google Nexus 7 & Nexus 10; Class 2 support.
    Nook Color, Kindle Fire; Class 3 support.
    Tablets using RockChip & AllWinner chips; Sonicview N710; Class 1 support.

Class 1: it is supported by the phone/tablet out of box, no rooting or other privileged software needed. Class 2: supported using 3rd party software such Media Importer from Play Store, with some limitations; root device and install 3rd party software such as StickMount to remove such limitations. Class 3: a custom ROM such as CyanogenMod is needed.

It should work with most other devices that support USB host or USB-OTG (On-The-Go) as long as the device maker doesn't intentionally disable such functionality. For the technically inclined, it has been tested and verified on all four major mobile SoCs(system-on-a-chip): Qualcomm Snapdragon, Samsung Exynos 3, 4 & 5, Nvidia Tegra 2 & 3, TI OMAP; as well as on RockChip and AllWinner chips.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. slipmagt

slipmagt Well-Known Member

Im down for one.
  3. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

This is actually exactly like what I've just been looking for. Great timing. The new HTC One does not have a MicroSD slot and I want to continue to use my current MicroSD card.

I would purchase one of these at the drop of a hat, however I do not use Kickstarter. Is there any other way to get involved and purchase one of these?

I've been dreaming of another solution for no MicroSD slot and that is a case with the USB connector built into it with a ribbon cable and MicroSD slot on the end that runs up the back of the case/device and lays flat against the device. It would be a little bit nicer to have the MicroSD card installed all the time and not have a mini hub sticking out of the bottom/side of the device. If it could be integrated into a case or somehow securely lay flat on the back of the device it would be very low profile.
    A pass through for simultaneous charging would be a really nice feature too. It could allow you to utilize the port for the MicroSD card while still allowing the device to be charged at the same time. I wonder if that would work with the Phone/tablet software
  4. jangofei

jangofei Member

It is good idea. But I guess it should be more expensive. Have to consider every tablet style. It should be not universal for most of device.
    PyroSporker likes this.
  5. PyroSporker

Thanks for responding. Cool to be able to connect with you guys.
    Yeah, it is a more complicated idea given the high number of devices and configurations out there. It would definitely be more expensive. Maybe a future idea or blueprint plan you could sell to a well established accessory company after you make a name for yourselves in the mobile world :)

So is there any way to purchase the Mini MicroSD Reader outside of Kickstarter now or in the near future? A website or email address or anything?
  6. jangofei

jangofei Member

There are many battery case without sd card slot now. We'd like to hear what you need. Hope it will be realized someday. Thanks.
    It is just released in Kickstarter now. Maybe it will be sold in the future.
  7. jangofei

jangofei Member

Every backer will get a USB-TO-MicroUSB for free if reach next stretch goal, $50k. Now is over $39k.

[​IMG]
  8. jangofei

jangofei Member

congrats! Reached $50k goal!!
  9. jangofei

jangofei Member

Last 46 hours to check it out!!
  10. ironman187

ironman187 Well-Known Member

Seems like a good way to destroy your micro USB socket if you forget its there and accidentally knock it on something. I'll stick with the otg cable for now.
  11. KOLIO

KOLIO NOTEoriously XPOSED Guide

Insurance is your friend! :deal: :thumbup:
  12. PyroSporker

An OTG cable (USB On The Go) is just as liable to "destroy" your Micro USB socket as a removable adapter if you "knock it on something"
  13. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member

Granted, anOTG cable may be just as likely to trash your micro USB socket, but, how likely is it that you'll forget that the tiny micro SD card reader is there compared to forgetting to remove a cable?
  14. ironman187

ironman187 Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you! :p

It is, but you are less likely to forget you have it there, or attempt to leave it there on a day to day basis. ;)
  15. psionandy

psionandy Well-Known Member

well... its smaller than the ones you can buy for the s3/note2... but not as flexable
  16. jangofei

jangofei Member

PyroSporker likes this.
  17. PyroSporker

Thanks Andy & Rich
    Mine arrived in the mail today. I vowed I'd never support a KS campaign, however you guys made an awesome product and made me eat my words.

Works like a charm! I highly recommend this product. The small size is one of the best benefits. Just barely smaller than a quarter as advertised. It would be mighty difficult to find a smaller product than this.

The only thing I still wonder about is the data transfer speed, card through meenova as compared to card installed in phone. Or PC connection via the meenova->included USB adapter vs. the 'regular' MicroSD->USB reader. But I'm too lazy to test it :)

I still think a flat ribbon cable that could be tucked flat against the device and hidden in the case many customers already wear on their phones, might make a cool follow up product. This way you can use your MicroSD USB storage without having the adapter sticking out of the side or bottom of your phone.
    Or maybe a model with a charging port pass-through so that you can charge with the USB storage still installed? It is a riskier proposition though, dealing with power increases the business risks because customers could damage phones or lose data.
    jangofei and KOLIO like this.
  18. KOLIO

Got mine today as well.
    How do you have your SD Card partitioned? My HTC ONE shows the device as being connected (USB Mounted),but,apparently doesn't "see" the SD Card,still says "unavailable".

On a follow-up product,I saw a post @ AMAZON regarding an extended battery case & someone had the idea of having an SD Card slot as well.

They kinda stumbled onto that idea,thinking the ONE had an SD Card slot (or perhaps they meant access to the SIM Card).

Either way,sounds like another KICKSTARTER project for the SD Card challenged phones.............
    PyroSporker likes this.
  19. PyroSporker

My MicroSD card is just partitioned normally as one(1) primary FAT32 partition for mass storage.

I'm using my Evo 4G LTE (Rooted but stock, Android 4.1.1, Sense 4+) and browsing the storage card via EStrongs file browser.
    The Android 'Settings->Storage' screen shows the correct capacity details under 'USB Storage'.
    Apparently in Android, un-mounting a storage adapter unmounts the internal MicroSD card along with it

I plugged the adapter in first without the card in it, to make sure it was recognized and functional (gave a normal charging error). Then removed it, installed the MicroSD card and plugged it into the device together.

An unfortunately growing population of devices :mad:
    KOLIO likes this.
  20. KOLIO

Actually,it's not mounting,I mistakenly thought it had.

Went into my "SD MAID PRO" & "ROOT EXPLORER" (BTW, stock/unrooted, but, still use both apps), just to verify that the phone is not seeing the card.

Perhaps the HTC ONE has to be rooted for this to work, I'll check the MEENOVA & KICKSTARTER sites for information & post back later........
  21. PyroSporker

Root shouldn't be needed. USB On The Go is supported stock out of the box on The One.
  22. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

Can you please post a picture of it together with your phone? Curious to see how it looks with One.
  23. KOLIO

There's been reports of some (not many hopefully) getting defective/malfunctioning adapters, much like I described above,& acknowledged by MEENOVA.

I've been communicating w/MEENOVA & will update as events dictate.

I will state that MEENOVA has been quick to respond to my issues, something that larger/long-established organizations should emulate.
  24. PyroSporker

No thanks. It looks just like the prototype in photos featured in the original post.

The black plastic is very slightly different than the photo but not really noticeable. It also has an easily ignorable die cut logo inset in each side. The indicator LED is kind of a darkish blue, the photo above had it looking like a lighter blue or even purple-ish
  25. KOLIO

^^^^
    THIS!

Andy & Rich from MEENOVA have already responded & have arranged for another unit to be shipped.

VERY NICE.