• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mini-puters: MK802-II versus UG802

I like the idea of tiny Android computers; I've been following the availability of new devices over at DealExtreme, and had set my sights on the Rikomagic MK802-II (it has significant improvements over the earlier MK802). I was about to buy it, but I just saw they are now also selling the UG802 (no apparent brand).
The specs are very similar (1GB RAM, MALI400 GPU, 4GB flash, the usual ports), but there is one important difference: the UG802 uses a Cortex A9 dualcore CPU (Rockchip RK3066 package), while the MK802-II uses an older Cortex A8 single-core (the famous Allwinner A10).

The UG802 is obviously more expensive, and being more recent and less famous it has received less community-made upgrades (no custom ROMs and no way to run Linux), but I'm sure given time that'll change.

The main complaint about the MK802-II is that it isn't exactly a lightning-fast performer; this is to be expected from low-power ARM processors, but some more speed would certainly make these gadgets more useable. So, anyone who's used both A8 and A9 devices, do you think the speed difference between them is significant?

It may not be an apple to apple comparision.

I have two Android TV Boxes, one is a single-core Amlogic A9 chip running Android 2.3, another one is Allwinner A8 chip running ICS.

The Amlogic is much more snappy, much faster app start, much faster overall response time. This may contribute to both leaner Gingerbread and A9 chip.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones