• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Minimal hardware cost for android?

Hello,

I am sure you have heard this questions many times posted on google world but I was wondering if a round about cost can be determined for android's minimal hardware requirements.

In reference to several links I have researched on the Internet, I found that
many suggest the following minimal hardware requirements:

32MB RAM
32MN Flash Memory
200MHz Online Processor

The only problem I have is what is the cost of these parts.
For example lets take the 32MB RAM and flash, can any 32MB ram/flash chips be used????

And for the processor.... can we use an arm9??? I know that PICs can't be used here, but a part# in particular would really help determining the price!!!

In summary, can someone break down these three parts in terms of what each would cost??

You don't need to be precise... just an approximation would be fine...

thanks so much for your help!

What are you trying to do, designing an Android device?

I think 256MB RAM is the minimum RAM you require to run Android. It certainly won't run on 32MB AFAIK.

For component choices, information, prices and sourcing, have a look at element14.com, especially for things like CPUs, flash memory, RAM chips, etc. Alternatively SEG Electronics Mall in Shenzhen is highly recommended for this kind of thing. Also you'll find plenty of semiconductor and component sourcing agents listed on Alibaba, Global Sources and Made-in-China.

Upvote 0
What are you trying to do, designing an Android device?

perhaps if the price is right. What I mean by this is, if I decide to go with an android device and I need 5 analogue inputs, do I need extra external chips or can the CPU holding the android accept analogue voltages ditrectly?

I think 256MB RAM is the minimum RAM you require to run Android. It certainly won't run on 32MB AFAIK.

When you say "MB" you mean mega byte right???? not mega bit!!!!!

Thanks for your reply!

Upvote 0
perhaps if the price is right. What I mean by this is, if I decide to go with an android device and I need 5 analogue inputs, do I need extra external chips or can the CPU holding the android accept analogue voltages directly?

Think you'd have to consult the datasheets for whatever CPU or SoC you intend to use, as to what they can support.

When you say "MB" you mean mega byte right???? not mega bit!!!!!

Thanks for your reply!

I meant MB as megabytes. :)

You are welcome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones