• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Minor Surgery: Making My Droid Dock More Useful w/pix

JoeKC

Nov 10, 2009
I bought the Droid Multimedia Dock assuming I would be able to find an app to keep it out of Clock Mode or at least be able to lower the light to an acceptable sleeping level. Well, neither happened. Since I really just wanted a dock that would sit by my bed and let me see interesting things during the night (like weather radar) I decided to remove the magnet from the dock. At first I removed the bottom using a #6 Torx driver, but aside from the weight, there's nothing interesting in the bottom

I finally isolated the magnet on the MM Dock to the extreme upper left corner of the support. There is no way to remove the magnet since it is actually inside the formed plastic. So I merely used my Dremel Hobby tool to cut out the magnet. I used a tiny washer to measure exactly where the magnet is imbedded -- it's very small and very strong. Cutting a 1/4" x 1/4" notch out worked just fine. Now the magnet is gone and I have a dock that serves my needs. I know at least one other (and cheaper) dock will appear soon, but for those of you stuck with the MM dock, this may prove useful

joekc-albums-droid-multimedia-dock-picture401-img-1710-sizeda.jpg

Shows the dock with section containing the magnet cut out.

joekc-albums-droid-multimedia-dock-picture403-img-1730sizeda.jpg

I can now see useful things during the night like weather radar.

joekc-albums-droid-multimedia-dock-picture402-img-1718sizeda.jpg

Here's the tiny piece of plastic I removed with the magnet still hidden.

You did this the hard way!! All you needed to do was take off the black tape and remove the magnet unless they have redesigned the dock. You can do the same to the car dock as well, Take out the middle remove magnet put middle cover back on.

Attachments

• tmpphp5OTKYI.jpg
    tmpphp5OTKYI.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 293
  • tmpphpBuxTQ2.jpg
    tmpphpBuxTQ2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0
And how do you get the magnet out? I pulled the tape off and can clearly see the magnet but after several minutes of digging with an exacto knife and a bloody finger it won't come out. It appears to be epoxied in or something. Maybe the Dremel wasn't such a bad idea. At a minimum though I could take a small drill bit to it and probably bite into the magnet and take it out that way but I'm at work, will have to try when I get home.

Upvote 0
You know... I have never seen this thread before, but it makes me laugh. Impatience has claimed the life of a perfectly good MM dock.

For what it is worth... and it obviously isn't at this point... Android 2.1 allows you to leave dock mode and have it do whatever you want. The new clock with 2.1 also goes MUCH darker.

l_9632cc252b564c8eb86320938fa30139.jpg
l_074b7ec8d58f4966b14642289ccf8874.jpg

l_ae361e2618a348a88b71b8580fe9ebb9.jpg
l_96c6214e57d64b9a8582eae11e7b3ef8.jpg

Also... Did you just not realize that all you had to do was press the home icon on your clock to get it to go back to your phones home page?

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh, but seriously, all u had to do to accomplish what u got without butchering ur dock was to pull down the notification bar and close the media dock. As for the light problem, close ur eyes,lmao,seriously though,my clock has a light bulb at the bottom,click that and Viola, the light is dimmed out, not to mention it displays the outdoor temp on the bottom of the screen and still gives weather alerts in the notification panel. The future of American is looking very dim!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones