• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mint.com Personal Finance: Keep track of your finances securely on the go!

I

iOverpriced

I'm going to start out by saying I'm a big planning/budget nerd. I have spreadsheets that let me plug in how long my drive to work is and will calculate how that affects my disposable income at the end of the month. When I saw Mint.com was releasing an Android app, I was thrilled.

If you like to keep a watchful eye on your money, but don't want to go through the tediousness of an excel sheet, Mint is probably for you. You'll need to sign up for a free account on Mint.com, and set up any banks or credit cards you'd like to monitor. Once you're up and running, the app's main screen will display a total of all your accounts, showing how much is currently charged vs. what's in your savings. Green is good, red means you've probably spent all your money paying for a tiered data plan!
(For the sake of my privacy, I've fabricated account information)

e6b5748f1e886efa965b3c9754f7e30b.jpg

Tapping "accounts" gives you a helpful breakdown of banks, credit cards, and loans.

8a2bda5730ff9dc60fa172aa3471d7a4.jpg

You can also click on each account individually to see your recent transations.

4c811d598bf66393a1f4229a4b8331a0.jpg

Referring back to the main menu, the alerts screen shows whether or not any of the alerts you've set from the Mint.com website have been triggered. Unfortunately the app doesn't allow you to change any preferences within, and you'll need to refer to your account settings online to make any adjustments.

a8fa5e215c642a17f14ccb61a25b14fe.jpg

The settings screen gives you some basic options for security and access.

47a1d537ea9ec1d0252900a609e1986a.jpg

One thing I suggest is immediately choosing a passcode. Whether you lose your phone, or just have a nosy friend going through your apps, this will keep you protected. Every time the app is opened, even if you're just going back to the home screen, it will ask for your code. You can also de-authorize your device online if it's stolen. If you're concerned about complete privacy, also keep in mind that allowing access under "Android Access" will circumvent the passcode somewhat by displaying certain transaction information in unprotected live folders and the widget, for example.

a8dedefda388228bd9ff5489f373c035.jpg

The screen capture below shows the home screen widget while the passcode is enabled.

66fc977a36a6785975f431111224f8fc.jpg

What's wrong with it?
Not a whole lot. The app is designed exclusively to show you information. Any changes you need to make must be done through the Mint.com site. Having said that, there are many, many options online. The budgeting tools alone give you a lot of freedom to carefully plan your spending, or just let Mint make it's own budgets based on past spending history.

If you're willing to put some time setting up your account, this app is the perfect way to keep track of your money away from home.

Mint.com Personal Finance
Pros
-Detailed tracking of all your finances
-Secured via passcode as well as device disabling
-Simple and intuitive UI

Cons
-No ability to edit account settings or information

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones