1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Miracast optionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. MKeditor

MKeditor Well-Known Member

I've been patiently waiting for Miracast magic. The Netgear PTV3000 appears to finally have a beta firmware that somewhat works. I'm considering buying one but it is a one trick pony. The new Netgear GTV100-100NAS NeoTV Prime has a lot of bells and whistles but I don't think it does Miracast for some strange reason. If I could have a device that does both I would bite on the hook. My concern is that the day after I buy the PTV3000 the real deal will be released.

Anyone have anything to add that I haven't mentioned?

Advertisement
  2. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to finding a device that uses Miracast as well. Hopefully it gets widely adopted soon.
  3. Comet

Comet New Member

Miracast has one big problem. It requires special hardware.
    What this means is that every single device you have needs to have buil-in Miracast support. Imagine you have two laptops in your home.
    One supports Miracast and the other doesn't. You're stuck. Two great mobile phones. One supports Miracast the other doesn't. Stuck again.
    Airplay doesn't need special hardware. It works with your existing network. And there are Airplay receiver and sender apps for available on most OSes.
    There are airplay apps for Android, Windows, Linux, Mac and iOS(obviously). And popular media centers that function as Airplay receivers (XBMC, PLEX, iTunes).
    Again, no need for special hardware. Now there are advantages in Miracast peer-to-peer solution. No need to join an existing network.
    BUT COULDN'T THEY BUILD A STANDARD THAT COULD WORK BOTH WAYS?