• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Misc LG Eve Questions

HotBranch

Sep 20, 2010
Hey folks new Android user. Searched through the forum and didn't find specific answers to these issues I am wondering about.

A little background: I have been with Rogers for almost 10 years. I finally got sick and tired of their gouging and decided to move to Fido. When I contacted Rogers to find out when my term ended, they offered me a really sweet deal and they even added the LG Eve for free when I recommitted. Since my new billing cycle didn't start until the 18th, I was using the phone only on wifi to try out some apps.

After the 18th arrived, I started using my phone and tried to take advantage of the new services Rogers had offered me. Every time I tried to launch the browser, I was redirected to the Rogers data access plans page. I found this bizarre, since the plan I got included unlimited WAP browsing. When I called Rogers today, they told me the Eve is a smartphone and can't browse WAP sites (and that I'd have to add a data plan). They are reluctantly offering to let me return the phone for a phone that can do WAP natively (Samsung Corby Pro or LG Neon 2) even though I have used the phone for over 30 minutes (my call to Rogers today alone was 45 minutes!), but I'd really like to keep it, which leads to my questions:

1 - I have read that if I install a 3rd party browser (like Opera), I should be able to configure it to access WAP sites.
a) is this true?
b) what configuration must I perform?
c) is there any specific browser that is better suited to this task?

2 - When entering phone nubmers for contacts, is there a way to add a pause? I use calling cards for most of my long distance, and I've always been able to add brief pauses in the key presses to enter the local long distance number, followed by the access code, then the actual number I'm calling. I can't find anything in the Eve's user guide about adding pauses, nor can I find an "additional keys" function (like I'm used to with my Treo).

3 - I've noticed that the Eve tends to "auto launch" several programs without my input. Moxier mail is the most common culprit, but if I keep the phone, I plan to root that program out. There have been cases where the phone was charging overnight (I had killed all active apps, but left a few widgets active) and when I woke up, there was anywhere from 4 to 10 apps running (Moxier, Gallery, Messaging, Settings, Phone Usage, Browser, etc.) What causes these programs to autolaunch, and how can I keep them from doing it?

I thought I had more questions, but my brain seems empty now.

TIA for any help and advioce you can offer.

I'm not sure about using opera to browse with no data plan, but I can tell you that yes, Moxier that comes with the LG will autoload itself persistantly even if you have a task killer or manager running. I actually removed Moxier all together and installed another version which seems to be much better about loading itself after its been ended.

I didn't notice the options for pause or wait on the 1.5, but I'm now running 2.1 and the option is included in the dialpad to add a pause.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about using opera to browse with no data plan, but I can tell you that yes, Moxier that comes with the LG will autoload itself persistantly even if you have a task killer or manager running. I actually removed Moxier all together and installed another version which seems to be much better about loading itself after its been ended.

I didn't notice the options for pause or wait on the 1.5, but I'm now running 2.1 and the option is included in the dialpad to add a pause.

Thanks for the response!

Just ran a test with Opera and nothing doing. Rogers has me by the short and curlies. I'll have to see what my bottom line will be with a data plan if I have them remove the bundle that included the unlimited WAP browsing.

I've looked at the other phones they're offering, and, even though it's only been a week with Android, it looks like a BIG step down.

I've been reading up on the Android updates and am very interested in trying them out. Is there any functionality you've lost by moving to 2.1?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response!

Just ran a test with Opera and nothing doing. Rogers has me by the short and curlies. I'll have to see what my bottom line will be with a data plan if I have them remove the bundle that included the unlimited WAP browsing.

I've looked at the other phones they're offering, and, even though it's only been a week with Android, it looks like a BIG step down.

I've been reading up on the Android updates and am very interested in trying them out. Is there any functionality you've lost by moving to 2.1?

The only 2 things I've noticed is the video camera does not work (camera works on the newest release) & the FM radio is not part of the rom. its a work in progress though and they are aware of the issues/working on them so I'm sure it won't be long before its fixed.

Upvote 0
The only 2 things I've noticed is the video camera does not work (camera works on the newest release) & the FM radio is not part of the rom. its a work in progress though and they are aware of the issues/working on them so I'm sure it won't be long before its fixed.

Very cool. The Eve's hardware is able to run 2.1 without too much lag? I'll keep my eye open for news on 2.1 upgrade developments. Next on the agenda: root this puppy and exorcise Moxier!

As an update to my OP, I finally got Rogers to admit they screwed up selling me a WAP plan with a smartphone (and not advising me that the Eve requires a data plan).

After 2 days and about 2 hours of total time on the phone, I got the same plan I originally agreed to, but replaced the unlimited WAP browsing with the 500MB data plan for only $5 more per month.

Upvote 0
Very cool. The Eve's hardware is able to run 2.1 without too much lag? I'll keep my eye open for news on 2.1 upgrade developments. Next on the agenda: root this puppy and exorcise Moxier!

As an update to my OP, I finally got Rogers to admit they screwed up selling me a WAP plan with a smartphone (and not advising me that the Eve requires a data plan).

After 2 days and about 2 hours of total time on the phone, I got the same plan I originally agreed to, but replaced the unlimited WAP browsing with the 500MB data plan for only $5 more per month.

Thats a pretty sweet deal. A lot of people don't know how, but if you know how to talk to your phone company and you've been with them long enough, you can get just about whatever you want. it costs something like double to sign up a new customer as apposed to keeping an old one. I used to work for one of them so I have a good understanding how it works.

As for stability and boot times, 2.1 works just as good if not better than 1.5 on this phone. The initial boot after you flash the rom is a little long (I was starting to think I bricked the phone on the first flash) but after that the boot time is actually faster! and no Rogers image :)

As for stability, it has a few minor glitches, but if you have used this phone for any amount of time, i'm sure you notice a few already (I did). I would say even with some of the glitches and issues the 2.1 rom has, its still much better than 1.5. Plus the guys doing this are still working away at all the issues and I believe plan on getting 2.2 working...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones