1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Mish-Mash of TTS Voices is Driving Me Nuts!General

1. Stang70Fastback

Stang70Fastback Well-Known Member

Alright guys, I've got a bit of a dilemma. Maybe someone can help me. When I first got this Note last week (upgrade from the original Note 1) I was horrified to discover that some Google Now queries would be answered in the normal Google TTS Engine voice, whereas other queries somehow invoked some awful-sounding, robotic voice which I soon discovered to be the Samsung voice.

I eventually caved in to the pop-up suggesting I download a high-quality voice, thinking perhaps that would solve my issue. And it did... kind of... ish. I was still sometimes getting the Google TTS voice, and sometimes the Samsung one. Then I discovered that the Google TTS engine was available for download, so I downloaded that, and set it as the default TTS engine, hoping that would force EVERYTHING to use the Google voice. Unfortunately that did not work.

REGARDLESS of whether I have the Samsung or Google TTS voice selected, my results are the same, as follows:

- Some queries in Google Now are answered in the Google TTS voice.
    - Other queries in Google Now are answered in the Samsung TTS HIGH QUALITY voice.

I can almost live with that difference, since the voices are somewhat similar. What annoys me more than anything is the following:

- Google Navigation doesn't use the Google TTS voice OR the Samsung HIGH QUALITY voice, but rather the Samsung LOW QUALITY default voice, which sounds positively terrible.

So basically I have THREE different TTS voices talking to me on my phone. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to resolve this? I tried rebooting my phone but that did not work. I tried disabling the Samsung TTS Speech Engine in the app menu, but that option is greyed out. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement
    :
  2. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

Lithium maybe? lol
  3. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

Why not uninstall the ones you don't like? You can't get rid of the original Samsung one without rooting I think but either one of the others are easily uninstalled.
  4. Stang70Fastback

Stang70Fastback Well-Known Member

I am more than willing to dI see that. How do I uninstall the original Samsung voice, though? The high quality voices show up in the app manager, but other than that all I see is the Samsung TTS Service, and there is no way to uninstall that.
  5. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

You'd have to be rooted stanger'. I don't recommend it but if you want to try check out the "All things root" sub-forums for your carrier. Be advised, this process could void your warranty.
  6. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Yes please, please strongly be advised that the root methods right now are very experimental.

A lot of times they don't work on the first try...

Plus the kingo method is currently under review because it seems that it might be stealing information from your after root.
  7. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I knew I was going to root my phone the day I got it so I just did it. I made sure to give it a good once over first to see if there were any obvious defects and then did it the night I got the phone. It went off without a hitch and I haven't had any problems at all with it. I used CF Autoroot.

Oh yeah, then I unrooted and applied the MJ4 update, and re-rooted with CF Autoroot and it worked fine the second time too.

It all depends on how bad you want it I guess.
    KOLIO likes this.