Missing Calendar functions - past month, day and copySupport

Last Updated:

1. batandroid

batandroid Member This Topic's Starter

I cannot manage 3 important things with my new HTC Desire Calendar app. Maybe it's me but how do you do these things?

-1- How do I configure to Sync (I'm using HTC Sync) all Calendar dates with Outlook (or Google), not just the last month. I NEED past appointments on my phone as a reference when talking to clients away from the office.

-2- How do I get the various views of the Calendar to show the day as well as the date? The day is currently only shown on the month view which, of course, does not give details (locations) of other appointments. The other views just give the date in the top panel, not the day. It is almost impossible to select a day/date for a new appointment when you can't see the day.

-3- How can you copy one appointment to create a new one? In the past using WinMo, I've been able to do this to create new repeated appointments very quickly and easily. Now I can't.

Is No 1 a limitation of HTC sync or is this and the other questions my fault, the HTC Desire itself or Android generally?

If Android, are there any apps that replace the Calendar to provide this functionality?

H E L P please. I need these functions.

Many thanks. B

(reposted, sorry inadvertantly 1st posted in root forum)

Advertisement
  2. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

Well, I'm far from an expert on calendar since I basically don't use it, but:

1) I assume you're main calendar database is in outlook?
    I'm sorry, I've not used outlook for years, but I would start by getting everything up to calendar.google.com from your computer. I think gcal has some outlook import options. Once it's there, then you automatically have it on your phone. you don't need to connect the phone to the computer since the phone accesses calendar.google.com live.

If it's a large database it might take a while to download to the phone though. BTW, I know that you can look at old appointments on the phone because I added an appointment for june 2010 on my computer & was able to see it on my phone.

One sticking point is that if you set outlook to sync with gcal rather than importing the database it might not be syncing longer than a month back. Basically, you might have to stop using outlook.

2) I don't really understand this question, I couldn't find any way to display the calendar without being able to see the day. Both the date number & the day of the week are displayed in every view I could find.

To be sure I am looking at the same place as you, if you tap the all programs link (it's the little arrow to the left of the phone icon on the bar at the bottom of the screen) & load calendar, is this what you've been looking at? Once the calendar loads, you can press the menu button to choose different display modes (agenda, day, week, month) they all have day & date on them.

3) This one I don't think you can do. At least not from the phone app. You can do it from calendar.google.com though. even using the phone's internet browser. When you use the phone browser you get a not supported warning, but you can click cancel to ignore it.

From either a computer or the phone, you go into the appointment you want to duplicate & at the top you will see Save, discard, delete, more options. there is a duplicate choice in more options.

Hope that helps.

3. batandroid

batandroid Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply

1) I now think its a problem of importing old appointments. The ones I make on the phone do seem to stay there but, whether its google or Outlook calendars, they seem to have disappeared one month back from when when I first imported them on 22 September. That means I have appointments from 22 August but not before.

I would prefer to continue to use Outlook for business reasons though so I'm looking at gcal and others for a solution but if anyone knows of a complete replacement calendar with more syncing functionality, that would be good.

2) On my example, the day and agenda views do not have any days marked at all, just the dates (and neither does the scroll wheel date selector). I've now had another look at the HTC Desire Manual (and also the Nexus One manual) and I see that it should have day markings. I am taking that up with HTC.

I have read that the calendar on the Desire is an HTC version. Is it possible to go back to the stock Android one which I guess is installed in the Nexus? That might cure this problem and, also, from the Nexus manual it seems clearer.

3) I seem to remember that the iPhone started without copy and paste functions. Did Google have to copy Apple so slavishly?

Thanks

B