• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Missing Contacts "FIX"

OK - I've had the problem of missing contact as well. All of my contacts were in Gmail before I got my Droid so I knew the problem was not Outlook related or other.

I finally figured out that the contacts that I was missing were all contacts without the "name" field populated (i.e.. Delta Airlines, other companies, etc.)

I also realized that Gmail Contacts does recognize and display these company contacts under "All Contacts", but not under "My Contacts" - all automatically.

Droid allows you to select the contact lists to display (under contacts settings) but does not allow you to chose "All Contacts" (and choosing "All Other Contacts" does NOT work)

To "solve", perform the following steps:

1. Login to your Gmail account and backup (export) your contacts - Always a good idea to do regularly

2. Clean up your contacts list - Gmail often automatically adds "Contacts" (actually just all non-entered email addresses from people that have emailed you that you have responded to). This step is optional.

3. Chose "All Contacts", select All, click on "Groups" - in the drop down menu select "Add To....New Group", name your new group (I used my last name).

4. Once your "All Contacts" are now also in your new "Last Name" Group, sync your Droid.

5. Go to Contacts in Droid, select Settings, find the new "Last Name" Group and select it

Voila - now ALL of your contacts have been successfully imported!

-----------------------------------------------

Now - does anyone know of an app to improve contact searchin in the Phone app? I would love a BlackBerry-like interface where the phone opens and you can just start typing a contact name (or any contact data to select and narrow a contact search????

Good Luck

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones