Missing Keys when Typing Fast

Last Updated:

1. tmac4life

tmac4life Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you had my issue. I have tried many different keyboards and all of them are the same thus I suspect its hardware flaw. It is completely frustrating to type on my evo! When I type really fast it won't detect my 4th stroke even though my evo registers that i hit it. So when I type in "stupid" accurately it comes out "stupd", missing the even though it acknowledges I hit it. Please let me know if this is just my issue. Thanks so much.

Advertisement
  2. Hrshycro

Hrshycro Well-Known Member

I've noticed the same, and even though I've cut down on texting since turning 18, coming from my iPhone 3G I'm used to typing as faster than crackberry's do, and on the evo I have to slow down and actually watch. But I love the spelling part of it.

3. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

yeah, even typing on the touch pro 2's on screen keyboard is faster. i thought it would be faster on the evo because of multitouch, but i guess not. the spelling really helps though.

4. htcevolee

htcevolee Well-Known Member

Try this:
    Go to settings
    Language and keyboard
    touch input
    Text input
    Uncheck Prediction
    Uncheck Spell correction
    Uncheck Vibrate when typing
    Basically Uncheck everything in here.

I also did the calibration tool but you probably dont have to do that.

Now go to a email or text and try to make it skip a key. I couldnt. =)

5. Hrshycro

Hrshycro Well-Known Member

That may help, but it also disables all the neat features that make Android bettery than my iPhone. :| Haha.

6. htcevolee

htcevolee Well-Known Member

i personally dont use those features but yes it disables all the auto stuff. Personally i like the auto stuff off because it makes me spell all the stuff out so just in case one day i go to a spelling bee contest ill know how to spell. =P
    Spell correction and prediction makes me lazy.

7. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member

Try a keyboard that has multitouch capabilities. I think Better Keyboard or Smart Keybaord Pro. Also, HTC_IME is a modded version of the stock Evo keyboard and it is AWESOME [MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers

Way better than any other keyboard IMO and has "pseudo" multitouch. I type fastest on HTC_IME

8. tmac4life

Thanks but this is completely frustrating not being able to type as fast as I'd like and have to seriously type one button at .4 seconds apart. It's very counter productive... I have tried better keyboard and smart and still the same issues. Is everyones evos like this?

9. keatre

keatre Well-Known Member

Yes, I find the space bar is my biggest issue. I start typing quickly, and look at what's being typed, and it comes out... "Heythisisate st".

I'm gonna try HTC_IME in the near future.

10. celeste9000

celeste9000 Member

I find myself having some typing issues as well. I didnt think it would be an issue because of the large screen and keyboard but I tend to make more mistakes on my Evo than I did on my BB. I think that for me I just need to get used to the layout. Maybe after using it for some time I will make less mistakes...I hope.

11. tmac4life

Pingpongboss!!! thanks so much for this keyboard! this seriously solves my problem! i can type so fast on this without lag! seriously everyone should download this keyboard best one!

12. pingpongboss

Haha isn't it great? I find it's way better than any of the paid "pro" keyboards on the market.

13. Swollen Pingus

Swollen Pingus Member

Which version did u download?

14. Teqonix

Teqonix Member

Dang, I wish I had seen this HTC_IME mod sooner. I purchased both Better Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Pro thinking I'd get used to them. Nope. HTC_IME is effin' great - keeps everything I loved about the HTC keyboard and gets rid of what I hated. HTC should hire the guy that made this. Thanks!

15. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

HTC_IME looks exactly like the regular keyboard to me? I downloaded the hi-res non-2.2 version. Copied the APK to my SD. Installed with Astro. Went into Settings > Keyboard/Language and checked HTC_IME Mod. Is that it?

Per the instructions I didn't install Clicker.apk.

16. Genetiks

Genetiks Member

Yea you did it all. It is just a modded version of the stock keyboard that is a lot better.

I just got swype this morning and I love it!!!!

17. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

I'm a '****, I forgot to do this: To change keyboard, long press on lower left key on stock keyboard or any input field. Select input method in the menu.

18. pingpongboss

19. maw4bc

maw4bc Well-Known Member

try swype. started with it today, i cant believe they have never had this on iphone (which i have had since they came out) now I only txt/email on my evo. its great

20. sweteg

sweteg Well-Known Member

21. pingpongboss

I keep telling myself to try and use Swype, but I always come back to this keyboard :D

22. bimmjo

bimmjo Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the keyboard you all have mentioned here but I did get Swype today and I have to say its the best thing I have ever seen. I'm inlove. I got very proficient on my ipod touch keyboard but swype blows my proficiency or of the the water. I don't think I will ever be able to leave it it is different though and takes some getting used too. I have used it for about the last hour and have picked it up very quickly. Its very forgiving and simple too use. I will just now have to work on my ability to use it with my thumb instead of my index finger so I can be more proficient one handed.