• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Missing LED notifications? Here is a workaround

-Ollie-

Jun 15, 2010
[App] NoLED - Use the AMOLED screen for incoming notifications I saw the idea posted somewhere previously that instead of getting the capacitive lights on, we really should be putting the phone's AMOLED screen to work ! specially that it doesn't consume any backlight energy when displaying a black screen. So I developed an app that does just that, upon receiving a notification, it will display a black screen with a dot somewhere in the left top corner. Ok, i really should put these in bullet points..

the application does the following:

1. When your phone receives a notification, it switches the screen on and displays a dot somewhere in the top left corner. The dot bounces around every 3 seconds. This will guarantee using different LEDs so that the same ones won't be burned out !

2. Each type of missed event generates a new LED color. The screen will also display a combination of dots if you missed more than one event. The color scheme is as following:

• Blue - Missed calls
  • Green - SMS calls
  • Yellow - Gtalk messages
  • Purple - Gmail messages
  • Red - all others (see 3.)

3. NoLED will work with SMS, Gtalk, Gmail and Missed calls even in silent/vibrate mode. However, other apps that may be using audio notifications will not work if phone is in silent/vibrate mode.

4. For all other apps that may be sounding a notification (e.g. some sports apps' notifications), please make sure they only use the default samsung notifications or the ones placed in /sdcard/sd/media/audio/notifications

5. The app runs as a service, after installing, you have two ways to activate the app. (a) by restarting. (b) by loading the widget into your home screen and clicking on it.

3. To get rid of the notification screen, the only key you can use is the home key. Using the capacitive touch buttons will do nothing, and so as clicking anywhere on the screen. Once your screen turns on, all notifications disappear and will not come up until a new notification sound is received.

I have also logged the touch drivers and saw that although I'm displaying a black screen and setting flags to not respond to touch messages, android is still receiving touch messages when you touch any spot on the screen. This, I imagine, consumes resources! So I disabled the touch drivers when the black screen is active. Pressing on the Home button should reactivate it. If your screen is unresponsive to touch even after the notification screen is dismissed, a simple restart should take care of it. Once you've restarted, you can uninstall the app.

Now the touchscreen drivers were a lot easier to mess around with. The sourcecode given by samsung helped me achieve the activation/deactivation of the screen. Things are not the same with the capacitive buttons. You'll notice that when the black screen is on, if you touch any of the soft buttons, they'll light up (although am suppressing them programatically). Am still analyzing the drivers to see if there is an easy way to disable these drivers too when the notification is on.

I just want to let you guys know that this is a beta app. Install it at your own risk.

Enjoy ! Comments and feedback will be appreciated

Update 8/11/2010: Application is now on the Android Market.

If you like this work and want to motivate and encourage further development, please consider a donation
smile.gif

Thanks
[App] NoLED - Use the AMOLED screen for incoming notifications - xda-developers

Just tried it for calls, SMS and emails. It works fine for SMS and emails, but it doesn't show anything for missed calls (althought it should), at least on my GS.
Let's hope this is work in progress (it is a beta app). As suggested by some members of the xdaforum, it would be nice to have icons instead of dots in the future.
But we always want more, don't we? :D

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones