Missing letters on dial padSupport

Last Updated:

1. Flogator

Flogator New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Samsung Galaxy S. When I am making a call, the dial pad contains buttons with a number and three to four letters. However, while I am in a call and that I hit the "dialpad" button to show the dial pad, it contains the same buttons but without the letters. This is embarrassing when you need to type a password or a name.

So the two questions are:
    1. Is there a way to get the letters to show on the dial pad during a call?
    2. Is this a Samsung or Android bug?

Advertisement
  2. Flogator

I have phoned Samsung and exchanged an email with their technical support. During the phone call, Samsung acknowledged the behavior. In the email exchange, their technical support added they have never heard of any smartphone with a dialpad containing numbers and letters during a call.

At all time, the Samsung representatives have been very polite and professional. However, I am still left with a dialpad without letters during calls and I still do not know if this is a problem with Samsung or Android.

Am I the only one that have observed this behavior? When I bought a smartphone, I thought it was a phone in the first place. In the past many years, I have not seen any phone (mobile or wired) without the letters on the dialpad.

Does anyone have any information or opinions about the Samsung Galaxy S (or perhaps about any other Android phones) that have a dialpad with missing letters during a phone call?

3. Cyb3r5c4r

Cyb3r5c4r Well-Known Member

my samsung wave has letters on the key pad during a call but my galaxy s does not. i am at a loss as to why you need them? surely the password you are using is really numeric : example password: POT 7(once) 6(three times) 8 (once) making your password 76668

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

This is a galaxy bug, best thing you can do is just try to remember where the keys are you want! you only have a choice of 9 so it should be easy :D

Seriously tho, its a silly mistake by samsung, i'd expect them to fix it with the 2.2 rollout.

5. Cyb3r5c4r

Cyb3r5c4r Well-Known Member

im running 2.2 and its not fixed:(

6. Flogator

7. triver525

triver525 New Member

This is my BIGGEST complaint with the Galaxy S. It is nearly impossible to access the dial-by-name company directories. I really hope Samsung fixes this.

8. erebus_

erebus_ New Member

Yes - this definitely needs to be fixed before I will be handing over my hard-earned. I ditched the LG Viewty because of this exact issue and went back to my beloved Nokia 3315 (still has the best reception for calls). Seems like a fairly huge oversight. Funny that the Samsung Wave doesn't have this issue.

9. mizius

mizius Member

Problem got fixed after I loaded froyo 2.2.1, build JPY

10. gottabook

gottabook New Member

WTF?!?!?! This is fracking ridiculous! Someone said "why would you need to type letters?" well, there are some applications which require me to use actual letters AND numbers to key in and do NOT accept (numbers in lieu of letters. Nor does the keypad on the Captivate accept the traditional hit the number three times for "e" for example like on the old school phones. I have an iPhone and gotta say, no problem there typing in letters in when I'm prompted with a field (of a site/or app in which I need to enter an alphanumeric code). I got this phone for my teenager and am setting it up, but will tell you that Samsung has had ample opportunity to resolve this and it's still a problem a year later? Yes, I'm running OS 2.2, by the way. I see this phone going back to AT&T tomorrow! If anyone has resolved this issue I'd really like to hear about it. Meanwhile, Samsung, get off your a$$ and do something about it!

11. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

They did. Did you not read the previous post from January that it had been fixed with 2.2.1.

"Problem got fixed after I loaded froyo 2.2.1, build JPY"

12. WMuellner

WMuellner New Member

Interesting, I just tested this with my Samsung Galaxy SII, where I've got the alpha-keys on my keypad, but HOW can I switch to alpha?!?! I cannot do this, no special key to enable the characters, nor pressing a single key multiple times. NO way to get a character pressed. Any hints??
    br, WM