• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Missing SD Card Apps

side0ut

Jun 11, 2010
Hi Everybody,

Did a search but did not find what I was looking for. I have OTA 2.2 on my phone and started moving any apps over to SD card that would allow. Everything was great but just bought a 16Gb memory card to replace my stock 8Gb card. I copied everything over from the 8Gb and put it on the 16Gb. Everything seemed good except that now all of the apps that were moved to the SD card are missing from phone desktop and managed applications. I can see them in the SD tab but can't access them anymore. Did I do something wrong? The only way I can think to fix this is re-download those apps and re-move them to the new SD card. That sucks. Hopefully someone has an easier way to get those apps back. Also, I downloaded alot of ringtones using the ringtone app and now those are not synced or accessible for ringtones anymore. I can still see them on the new memory card. Almost looks like the old memory card was linked somehow and the phones knows it is not the same.

Hi Everybody,

Did a search but did not find what I was looking for. I have OTA 2.2 on my phone and started moving any apps over to SD card that would allow. Everything was great but just bought a 16Gb memory card to replace my stock 8Gb card. I copied everything over from the 8Gb and put it on the 16Gb. Everything seemed good except that now all of the apps that were moved to the SD card are missing from phone desktop and managed applications. I can see them in the SD tab but can't access them anymore. Did I do something wrong? The only way I can think to fix this is re-download those apps and re-move them to the new SD card. That sucks. Hopefully someone has an easier way to get those apps back. Also, I downloaded alot of ringtones using the ringtone app and now those are not synced or accessible for ringtones anymore. I can still see them on the new memory card. Almost looks like the old memory card was linked somehow and the phones knows it is not the same.

This happened when I swapped out cards on my wife's Evo. All I did was shut the phone off. When it rebooted, all was well.

Upvote 0
I'm still searching through in case someone has answered it elsewhere, more details. I upgraded my Desire's 4GB sd card to a 16GB (brand new class 4) one and all the SD card apps are "uninstalled" tried restarting sense, and every other service I can think of! If I turn off and back on again enough times I'll get the apps back, may be on first reboot or on any subsequent one, removing reinstalling the card makes no difference, putting back the original card, no better, so may only be coincidence I saw this after the change.
When the apps are back all will be fine for minutes or hours or days or weeks but suddenly I won't be able to install new apps (they may download and just stay "installing" forever) then if I start the cycle of reboots again all will eventually be well.
Any suggestions gratefully received. I have tried 4 different card, I've reformatted them, in the phone or on the PC (linux and windows tried both).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones