Missing sms fix: 1x solution?

Last Updated:

1. ron

ron Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The below from another forum. It would be great to have some others test this and see if it can be replicated:

"I had never had a problem receiving my text messages - that is until I started playing around with my phone.

This is what I have noticed:

When I am on EVDO, I cannot get my texts. When I switch to 1x-Only, I can get all of my texts, even those that were sent while on EDVO.

The reason I never noticed this was a problem is because I live in southern Idaho, and we don't have fancy networks here. I was on 1x the entire time, but switched it from Hybrid to EVDO yesterday to see if I could get 3G (yes, I received EVDO Rev 0). Then I could not receive any text messages. Restart the phone, no go. Sent myself 10 text messages from google voice in numbered order, and two from my phone. I left it overnight and no text showed up. Turned it back to Hybrid so that it went back to 1x, and those texts came pouring in. Sent myself several more messages while at 1x, and they all came through. Moved back to EVDO, and no messages came through. Back to 1x and all messages showed immediately.

Anyone else try this? Anyone know how to fix it so I can EVDO and text?"

================

The ugly truth:
    1xRTT: 50Kbps - 100Kbps Upload and Download (bursts to 144Kbps)
    EVDO Rev 0: 400kbps-700kbps Download (bursts up to 2.0Mbps), 50kbps-100kbps Upload (bursts to 144Kbps)
    EVDO Rev A: 600Kbps-1,400Kbps Download (bursts to 2.0Mbps), 500Kbps-800Kbps Upload (bursts to 1.8Mbps)

1x operates at around 8% of the evdo speed which we are paying for :-(

Advertisement
  2. andrewcgrimm

andrewcgrimm Well-Known Member

Technically your not paying for different tiered speeds. All phones no matter what web access they have all have the same MRC.

ie: The Samsung A900 (First Powervision Phone) has the same $15 MRC as any other phone including the HTC Hero (if sprint would allow the phone to be on a regular plan with data addon)

3. ron

Andrew, they advertise FAST EV-DO speeds for your $70 or $90 a month, right?
    Would anyone knowingly sign up for 50k speeds for this price when the competing phones are getting 1mb or more?

4. pdragon

pdragon Well-Known Member

SMS/MMS does not come over EVDO. This has been confirmed in other threads already. Putting the phone into EVDO-only mode will not allow them to come through. Leave the phone in Hybrid mode as is the default and you will receive text messages since the phone is left to manage switching back and forth between the two as needed.

The other issues that people are reporting seem to be happening no matter what mode the phone is in. HTC has confirmed the issue and is looking into it.

5. ron

pdragon, I believe you are missing the message here ;-) The question is, for those who are only getting some of their messages, will switching to '1x only' make all messages come through, as happened with the dude above.

In other words, maybe the Hero's missing messages issue has to do with a bug in it's Hybrid mode.

6. pdragon

Ron,

You stated you were putting the phone into EVDO mode. That is a known issue that will cause all SMS to stop coming through because SMS does not operate on EVDO. That's what I was letting you know. As soon as you leave EVDO mode, your messages come through. People are reporting that they are never receiving their messages

The issue could be related to the Hybrid mode, yes. But the Hybrid mode is the only realistic mode to run the phone in if you want to use the full functionality of the phone.

7. pdragon

I've added a note to the Confirmed Issues w/ Workaround sticky to let people know about the EVDO-Only mode stopping SMS messages in case that may be their issue and not the more serious one.

8. ron

Thanks for the info Pdragon. I am not the person who switched to evdo mode ;-)
    And I agree, operating on 1x only would be very lame. But if those who are not getting all messages (only some of them) can switch to 1x and get all messages, then maybe we would have narrowed down the issue to a Hybrid-mode bug.

9. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bunch of wasted thinking? leave it in hybrid. it switches automatically....at least mine seems too

10. ron

ltz, if you are getting all of your messages then you have nothing to worry about. This is just a theory for a work around for those who are missing messages.

11. pdragon

I get what you're saying. Would be interesting if someone that has the issue tries 1x-Only to see what happens.

12. ron

Ok, I just tested this theory and it worked 100%.
    Just sent myself 15 text messages in 1x and they all came in within a second!

This was impossible in HYBRID mode, where I would get maybe 4 out of 10 text messages no matter how long I waited.

13. andrewcgrimm

I see your point. However the you are comparing a Connection Card MRC to a phones data MRC. even though its the same speed its two totally different devices and Price Plans.

I have to explain this everyday to customers.

Also there are certain network, user, and environmental conditions that have a significant roll in connection speeds.

Sprint offers speeds up to 2.4mbs, however the customer in EVDO coverage and outside my only reach speeds of 300kbs to 700kbs peaking out at 1.4mbs. Its kinda like in car or home stereo systems theres a RMS rating and a Peak Power Rating.

Also look at the cable and dsl providers in your area (or any other area for that matter), I have Cox Communications and I have the top speed tier however I never see the speeds that Im paying for

Also Sprints Connection Card MRC is 59.99

14. ron

andrew the only point i was making is that if some of us have to run the hero at 1x in order to get messages, that'll be lame because it's slow. End of story ;-)

By the way I am still testing this and I am getting 100% texts within a few seconds of sending them using 1x. Interesting indeed.

15. andrewcgrimm

Then all I aks is, Do you really know what you are changing when you flip or change this setting? or did you just go looking for a setting to change, noticed that their might be a difference and decide to post this?

The text messages have nothing to do with the data connection on the phone the run on the voice side of the device so technically flipping this setting would have no affect on the sending/receiving of text messages.

16. ron

Andrew, all I know is what I am seeing here. And others are seeing the same thing.
    Do you have the Hero with you? If so, test it. I just sent myself 25 sms messages and all came though in a second or two. This was IMPOSSIBLE until I switched to 1x. Also I am not the original person who was dabbling with evdo only mode. That was someone else, but it got me thinking about testing 1x, and it's working.
    I think there is an issue with this phone not knowing when to switch to 1x for messages.

For chuckles I switched back to Hybrid mode 10 min ago, sent 10 sms and only 3 arrived. Then switched back to 1x and the remaining 7 poured in.

This is someone else who confirms what I am seeing - just in on the Sprint site:

"I concur.

By the way, I forgot to mention EVDO stands for "Evolution Data-Only". This name was dropped by some companies because it sounded too restrictive, so some call it "Evolution-Data Optimized".

I did some tests too.

EVDO-Only, then rebooted - 0 texts received, 0 calls received.
    Hybrid, then rebooted - got 1 of the 5 texts I sent (oops, 2nd just came now, about 10 minutes later..) and all calls.
    1x-Only - all texts received within 5 seconds, all calls received.

Any and all of these functions should be carried out by the hardware radio's ROM and not Android. Think of it as the way a cable modem's connectivity has nothing to do with your computer's OS. However I acknowledge cell phones aren't as simple as that, so maybe the radio is telling Android there's a text waiting, and Android is dropping the ball and not doing anything about it. Who knows. But then I don't understand how this could apply to GSM phones though, as they have a totally different radio type."

17. pdragon

I have had my phone in Hybrid mode since day one and have never missed an SMS message. I've had long conversations with friends over texts and only had the typical few seconds of delay between send & respond. So, this issue is not universal to everyone.

ron's findings could be a part of the other issue that HTC has confirmed with people not getting SMS messages. If other people that are not receiving SMS messages try switching to 1x-Only mode, then receive them, then it shows something is wrong with the Hybrid mode on their phone.

18. ron

Yes, it doesn't seem to be universal, but it has occurred on both of the Heros I have had.

Also, some people have this problem but don't know it until they get an angry call as to why they are not responding to texts ;-)

19. ron

By the way pdragon, how long have you had your phone for? I think my first one was working well for close to a week before the sms started dropping off.

20. pdragon

Since Oct 9th. No exchanges yet. May do one later, though, as I am starting to get a bit of dust buildup under the screen.