• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

missing Tethering and mobilehotspot

matthias71

Lurker
Sep 23, 2014
Hi,

Got myself an Motorola Moto G September 2014 with android 4.4.2 by Cricket(kind of AT&T) in USA and the phone does not have the option tethering or mobile hotspot that is need so i can share data with my Samsung tablet.

How do i enable hat feature since i watched and found out that in the UK they have that option and in some cellphone providers in USA(verizon i think does have that) but cricket does not and i have unlimited DATA plan on my phone.

Help is appreciated.

Thank you

Upvote 0
I have a Moto G, and it has the option in settings/more (Wireless & Networks) your device must be rooted to edit your build.prop
Add this line to your's or find and edit this line

###For WiFi tether###
ro.mot.tether_dun_required=0

No need for any 3rd party app to use it!

You will need to do this with most custom Roms also, since it is broken and needs to be activated by editing the build.prop

works for stock 4.4.2, 4.4.4, CM11, Paranoid Android, Dirty Unicorns, Pacrom and the list goes on

Hope that helps you out

Upvote 0
I did the exact same thing as you and promptly went back to metropcs cricket is terribly, no hotspot servicr at all in my part of the country (i live in michigan, plus they wouldnt even honor my mail in rebate, the moto g is ok but its not better but i gave it to my son since it doesnt have what i need. Back to my lg motion. And a tip to all user of the mobile hotspot if your phone is 4g with a hotspot feature built in. Im not sure about contract phones, but.i do know providers like metropcs and boost have the mobile hotspot for $10 extra a month and wont allow you to have unlimited data. What i just did was called Metropcs and had them remove the hotspot from my plan completely and put unlimited data on plan, and guess what? Hotspot still works for free on all my phones my wifes, my brother, my kids all have done this and gotten the same result, so that hotspot on a plan is a big rip off when you get it anyway at least on 4g phone i know!

Upvote 0
In the US, that feature is usually disabled on the phone's firmware itself by the carrier because they want you to pay for that feature to use it. In other countries, well they don't. Although I hear it's supposed to be the same case in UK.

Nope, I can tether to my hearts content using my Note 3 as a wifi hotspot. So long as I don't go over my data limit of 12gig a month.

A few years ago the was a large "debate" between the networks (carriers) and OFCOM (The government's communication watchdog and enforcer) OFCOM ruled that data was data however it was used. It was the end of unlimited data however, which caused a lot of arguments in itself, as at the time most of the networks offered unlimited data. They continued to offer unlimited data, except it wasn't, it was unlimited, but had a "fair usage" clause and OFCOM ruled on that too. So the word "unlimited" was not used or had its definition changed to "unlimited" but up to X amount of data (varied by network). Now after much arguing unlimited data does not exist to new customers and I doubt very much any UK network actually uses the word in relation to mobile data. The amount of data you can have is contract dependent. You can can however use it as you see fit.

Nowadays in the UK, as a rule of thumb you can tether up to your data amount per month limit. Some networks will text you saying you "can't do that" if their equipment detects your tethering (I have no idea how that works), but basically it is bluff. They may throttle your speed, they may complain bitterly, but data however used is data in the UK.

Upvote 0
Nope, I can tether to my hearts content using my Note 3 as a wifi hotspot. So long as I don't go over my data limit of 12gig a month.

A few years ago the was a large "debate" between the networks (carriers) and OFCOM (The government's communication watchdog and enforcer) OFCOM ruled that data was data however it was used. It was the end of unlimited data however, which caused a lot of arguments in itself, as at the time most of the networks offered unlimited data. They continued to offer unlimited data, except it wasn't, it was unlimited, but had a "fair usage" clause and OFCOM ruled on that too. So the word "unlimited" was not used or had its definition changed to "unlimited" but up to X amount of data (varied by network). Now after much arguing unlimited data does not exist to new customers and I doubt very much any UK network actually uses the word in relation to mobile data. The amount of data you can have is contract dependent. You can can however use it as you see fit.

Nowadays in the UK, as a rule of thumb you can tether up to your data amount per month limit. Some networks will text you saying you "can't do that" if their equipment detects your tethering (I have no idea how that works), but basically it is bluff. They may throttle your speed, they may complain bitterly, but data however used is data in the UK.

They can actually with deep packet inspections, enough to determine what browser and operating system you might be using, e.g. my own, "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0", which is Firefox with Mac OS X on a Macbook, which is obviously not a phone. In fact a carrier's tethering block can be tripped by going into "request desktop site" with a phone's browser, because that changes the browser's User Agent String, to pretend it's a desktop system. And we have had posts about that with unlimited phone only data plans, e.g. 3 UK.

Thing is, if you do have a set data limit or fair usage quota, that's not unlimited.
"Unlimited *" asterisk...read the small print.

When you do hit the maximum, they might cut your data completely, bill you for overages, or throttle you to dial-up speeds. If you paid for say 10GB of data, even if it's advertised as "unlimited", they shouldn't really care how you use that 10GB. But then some carriers might want to charge you more for using 10GB of data with a PC, than with a phone.

Reactions: dynomot
Upvote 0
I use 3 and quickly discovered that the default "phone only" APN does cause tethering difficulties even when the tethered device is an Android tablet. I have no idea how they detect it when it's the same OS and user agent on both devices.

However there is an alternative APN used for "mobile broadband" dongles that works fine with phones too, so that's what I use when away from home and want a big(ger) screen for general internet use.

Upvote 0
Screenshot_2015-12-10-17-50-38.png
Screenshot_2015-12-10-17-50-43.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones