• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Thanks.

I was hoping there was something internal that I was overlooking. It would be great to simply be able to tell someone ... type xxxxxxxxx ... and tell me the result ... as opposed to the current 2 or 3 message exchange to gain the information ... like ... which of the three Moto Gs are you using?

The Turbo is the easy case ... there is only one model.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Without a third party app, I know of no way. If they have ES File Explorer or another file manager installed, they can open the file /system/build.prop and the model number will be there (in that eye chart) somewhere, under ro.product.model (it should be toward the top).

In the case of the Moto G, the back is removable, and the model number should be printed somewhere under the removable back, on the device - I believe that there is a sticker. See http://www2.taazastat.com/shopping/...mobile_motorola-moto-g-2nd-gen-16gb-10844.jpg

The Droid Maxx definitely has the model number printed on the back.

Perhaps another easy way is to have the person open the Play Store on a computer browser, tap the gear icon to the right, then settings, and it should show the model number of each device attached to their google account that has accessed the Play Store.

But the phone doesn't seem to expose that, no.

Oh, one other place, if the phone syncs with a Google account. On the phone, open the browser (like Chrome.) Open te web site google.com/account. It may ask you to log in. Scroll to the bottom and look for "devices". It should list the name of the phone - tap it and it may show the XT number as well.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
It "belongs" in About phone.
Perhaps, but it's likely that Motorola wants to focus more on the brand than their internal model number.

Settings / About phone / System version. That should give you all the info you need to find out the model number based on a Google search, or at least as close as you can get. On the Maxx it's 24.3.7.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.us - I'd be willing to be that all current Moto devices have similar version numbers.

Upvote 0
On the Turbo it is "quark".

There should be an unambiguous name ... Turbo does not (yet) have the problem.

Ask and they will say the have a Moto G ...
  • Moto G
  • Moto G (2014)
  • Moto G (second Generation)
  • Moto G 4G LTE

Ask and they will say they have a Maxx ...
  • Droid Maxx
  • Moto Maxx

(In ... http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6727&idPhone2=6779 ... what is the difference betweren a Droid Turbo and a Moto Maxx? The label on the case and lack of CDMA in the Maxx?)

... Thom

Upvote 0
I agree, but FWIW Verizon sets the brand names of the Droid line of phones (and you forget the Droid Razr Maxx and the Droid Razr Maxx HD, so it's even more confusing).

And Motorola, when they make these decisions, are probably figuring that they will be doing all customer support. They have no consideration at all for third party support forums like this one.

I think that the major difference between the Turbo and Maxx, besides the radios, is the included "bloatware" - there is no Verizon software in the Maxx, and I doubt there are apps like NFL Mobile, etc. I believe that they are both the Quark. It'd be interesting to see what the system versions are, though.

Also, for what it's worth, the Droid Ultra is the XT1080, the Droid Maxx is the XT1080M, but the software within the Droid Maxx says XT1080, as does the silkscreen printing on the phone. The only major difference is battery size and qi charging, but if the phone reported what the build.prop version number says, the Maxx would say XT1080.

All very frustrating for us...

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
System Panel app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.systempanel

Install that, run it. Tap menu, dev info. The model number is reported there.

Yes I have that ant the non-lite versions.

I was looking for something that was already installed/built in so when talking to someone they could easily tell the model number without having to install a new app. I was looking for something that worked on all Motorola devices.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones