Mixing Roms and Kernels ?

1. MCPO117

MCPO117 Well-Known Member

Ok if you flash a rom that has a kernel preloaded and you want to use a different kernel what should you wipe (if anything) before you install the new kernel? Do you wipe cache or maybe the dalvik cache or do you just leave it along and flash the new kernel?

Advertisement
  2. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

I usually wipe dalvik and cache but I'm not entirely sure you need to.
  3. Two_cents

Two_cents Well-Known Member

you shouldn't need to wipe dalvic until the kernels have HAVS implemented in them... you can do it if you like it wont hurt anything
    scotty85, MCPO117 and ska.t73 like this.
  4. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

It's a lot easier to wipe cache/dalvik first that way if the Kernel doesn't work you don't have to say "well, maybe it's because I didn't wipe." You'll save yourself time in the long run.
  5. MCPO117

MCPO117 Well-Known Member

So anybody running the the BMAF remix and the 1.92 leanKernel? I have that on there and keep getting random reboots. I can get it to reboot doing anything specific it just happens completely randomly. I just went in and wiped cache and dalvik cache so we will see if that does anything. Anybody got any suggestions?
  6. gregnice37

gregnice37 Well-Known Member

I tried this combo myself and kept getting force closes on any app I opened. I did get one random reboot, so I switched kernels, went to Bamf 4.3b and no problems since. Try a different kernel, should solve your problem.
  7. Ibrick

Ibrick Well-Known Member

Some play nicer than others. I tried the 2.0ghz for fun, and my phone didn't like that very much.. lol 1.8 is the highest I can push it without issues and even then it's sketchy..

For now I'm sticking with Adrynalyne's kernels.

4.3 works lovely with Perfect Storm.