• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MMS and "invalid address"

Funny, anytime I go into the verizon store or call 611 they act like they have never heard of this issure before, and they have no clue what is going on.

The guy I spoke with the last time I called kept going on about how wonderful the Droid is, and how he's seen absolutely nothing wrong with it, and how it's perfect in every way.

BTW... I do love my phone, just wish I could send a picture message to my fiance.

Upvote 0
Funny, anytime I go into the verizon store or call 611 they act like they have never heard of this issure before, and they have no clue what is going on.

The guy I spoke with the last time I called kept going on about how wonderful the Droid is, and how he's seen absolutely nothing wrong with it, and how it's perfect in every way.

BTW... I do love my phone, just wish I could send a picture message to my fiance.

It's simple, he doesn't own a Droid as his primary phone like we do. He used it in training etc....I have had the same experience in 3 different stores: "MMS problems? What MMS problems?"

Upvote 0
Hi..just a quick reply from a vzw tech rep, will try not to appear "dumber than a doornail" lol..several issues could be affecting your mms messages, while it is true there has been an identifiable issue with google/mms which should be addressed in the Dec 11th software upgrade, this may not be the answer to all of your issues. If you are getting invalid address to only some contacts and not others and only periodically then perhaps it is the way your multi media platform is built in the switch. Are all of the numbers in the same general vicinity (ie same city/zip/cell tower)/do they all have different carriers? Recently FCC laws are changing and a lot of areas are now requiring 10 digit dialing which should hopefully resolve alot of the invalid area code issues. Have you noticed this most when sending from your home location or while traveling? (could be roamer profiles etc) Since you recently switched your device your min (mac address from the phone) might not have updated in all of the switches/it is possible that your messaging just needs to be reset. We can do this on a base level of switching but if it does not correct then the tickets are forwarded to networking so that they can try to identify when and where the messages are failing. MMS messages work on an entirely differently level (data) while the sms work at a basic level (voice) which basically in layman terms means it has to jump through a lot more hoops to work. If you continue to have mms issues after the update on Dec. 11th, please save the messages that fail so that we can get an accurate time and date of message sent/failed so that we can attempt to track them and please ask the tech rep if they will reset your message profile as well as manually programming your phone to verify all settings are completely verified in your device. On occasion I have also had a customer back up their information and do a master reset and this has sometimes (not always) resolved the issue. As far as the #832, it is a test call but it is an important one, if the test call does not go through successfully and you get failure to authenticate then we know up front that 1.programming, nam select ,system select and serial numbers all need to be verified and corrected. 2. We need to attempt to reset authentication (ie allowing your phone to work on the network with the correct profiles and settings) and perhaps submit a ticket. Sorry for the book but I wanted to attempt to provide a fuller understanding of the process. Also as a little side note :) Yes sometimes when you call we do not know every issue for every device, new ones come up every day, and although as a customer myself I expect a rep to know my phone but I am realistic enough to realize from the other side that we have thousands of phones and other products and since we periodically launch ten to fifteen new products a month, they are just as new to us as they are to you. Our Droids launched the same month as Blackberry Storm 2/ windows 7 netbooks and ..as well as the convergence of other markets/cell towers/rebuilds and now learning other carrier devices, what a great month this as been <snicker>. A lot of our information on troubleshooting we receive is directly from great forums like these as well as google, microsoft and the manufacturer. You would be surprised at how many of us "tech geeks" spend hours outside of work studying forums just to try to keep up with known issues (that we might have never received a call on) It would be impossible for anyone to ever know every single issue since we generally average 30 to 40 calls a day and rarely do we have the same device/problem/issue twice in one day. Hopefully if you call in again you will get a rep who might not know your issue but will make every attempt to find the answer even if it requires a follow up! Good luck and I hope you enjoy your phone :) Also feel free to ask any futher questions on switching issues but please not android since I joined this forum to learn from you guys :) ! I look forward to reading the posts so that I can be one of the reps who will be able to assist when I do finally get that one call..lol..Have a great evening!

Reactions: Russ71
Upvote 0
I have done the whole delete contact, delete thread, add contact, restart phone, thing a few times now. Each time I do it, it fixes the problem... but only temporarily. I have to re-do the whole process again. Any clue what may be going on? Anyone else having this problem?

I had to do this a second time myself. I am thinking this is a possible bandaid fix until the patch on Dec 11 is pushed out.

Upvote 0
Just as confirmation to the rumblings, having parentheses in the phone number do cause a problem with MMS, in my experience. Select phone numbers were not working and I removed the parentheses from the phone number and *REBOOTED THE PHONE* and it worked great. Note that you MUST reboot the phone. I spent a while without doing so and had no success until I re-read the post and tried it and it worked - yay!

No problems as of yet with SMS though. I can send and receive from said parentheseed phone numbers just fine with SMS but not MMS.

Upvote 0
For most contacts I have *82 in front of the number which will unblock my number because I have my caller ID blocked by default through Verizon. Because text messages will not work with *82 in front of the number I store the same contact without it and use that for texting.

My Droid when texting will sometimes replace the current number I am using with the *82 version even if I have deleted the *82 number for that contact. The only way I know this has happened is when the person I am texting says they did not received it or if I am texting someone who is also on Verizon network and the text delivery status will stay at pending.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue and I give props to all of you with the patience to figure it out. I will never read a map, ask for direction or call tech support but reading a forum saved me a lot of frustration today.

If you are experiencing the same issue... the informartion below worked like a charm...
Kudos!

PS.. new member first post... ramble ramble... blah blah...
Do I win a t-shirt?

Thank you guys

Tsunami Dan

Believe the hype

It really is Incredible

he went through the following programming options (dialing/calling the following)

after this i guess it resets the programming on the phone and all seemed well.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones