• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I don't really get what you are trying to achieve. Do you want to use SMS to trigger the data to be turned on so that you can receive an email?

If not, you don't need data turned on to receive SMS or MMS.

If you did need data turned on to receive an SMS message, how could you receive the message to turn on the data? Kind of like a paradox machine there. ;)

Upvote 0
Would it be possible to make Tasker turn on data when an SMS is received and have it on for a set time period? I realize that not every message is an MMS, but all MMS's are messages - perhaps that is a way to get around it?

I say this, as I've had an MMS come through when data is not on and you have to click download (giving you time to turn data on).

Upvote 0
I see... I don't think I've been clear though... I don't actually have Tasker at present

No, you've been perfectly clear, I got all that :)

Tasker can definitely do what you asked. It can turn on data for x amount of time, triggered by an SMS.

What I am saying is I am not sure that:

1) an MMS actually arrives as an SMS initially and if it does;
2) Whether turning data on once arrived (regardless of method) would allow an automatic download to initiate

Tasker is a poweful and amazing app and it is definitely worth the purchase. However, if the above is the main reason to get it initially, I recommend doing the test I suggested (which is without Tasker by the way) to see if turning data on after receiving an SMS/MMS will allow teh data within teh MMS to automatically download or not.

I hope it makes sense what I am saying

Upvote 0
Lots to do. Hope we can populate this forum. Bet theres loads of threads around that could come here.

Where do we draw the line though? In the S3 forum is a thread "Tasker and S3 dont get along". Surely that can stay in S3?

Anyway theres a challenge for ya, find every tasker thread and read it. Loads of ideas, then move them here ;)

As Dautley said, I'm a hoot :)

Upvote 0
No, you've been perfectly clear, I got all that :)

Tasker can definitely do what you asked. It can turn on data for x amount of time, triggered by an SMS.

What I am saying is I am not sure that:

1) an MMS actually arrives as an SMS initially and if it does;
2) Whether turning data on once arrived (regardless of method) would allow an automatic download to initiate

Tasker is a poweful and amazing app and it is definitely worth the purchase. However, if the above is the main reason to get it initially, I recommend doing the test I suggested (which is without Tasker by the way) to see if turning data on after receiving an SMS/MMS will allow teh data within teh MMS to automatically download or not.

I hope it makes sense what I am saying
I created a profile that when a SNS is received, turn on data, this works but by the time the data is enabled the auto download is by passed. I have tried a widget, where when I touch the widget it turns on my data then open my mess app, then i download it. I have it set to wait 2 min then turn data off. Was trying to turn data on then download the MMS pic then turn data back off automaticly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones