• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

tph88

Nov 25, 2012
Does anyone have this phone with Straight Talk, and MMS working?

I just got this phone unlocked and signed up for StraightTalk, so got a brand new sim card from them.
It's been over a week, and I still can't get MMS working.
I can send pictures to other Android phones, but not iphones. I can't receive pictures or group texts from anyone.
When someone sends me a pic or group text, I get an error message saying to check my APN settings (using Chomp. Stock just shows a 'downloading' button').

I've checked and triple checked the APN settings and am using the ones ST said to use:
APN: tfdata
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
MMSC: http : //mms-tf.net (no space but wasn't allowed to post the 'link')
MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN Type: default,mms,supl

I have rooted, and flashed both CyanogenMod and currently on Carbon Rom. It's never worked, even on the stock rom.

I've been on help chat with straight talk 3 times at least. They are telling me it is the programming on my phone that is causing the problem.
Is this possible? That the programming on the phone is bad? That doesn't make sense to me.

They also suggested testing my sim card in another phone, but I don't know anyone that has an unlocked phone to test it in.

Does anyone have this phone with Straight Talk, and MMS working?

I just got this phone unlocked and signed up for StraightTalk, so got a brand new sim card from them.
It's been over a week, and I still can't get MMS working.
I can send pictures to other Android phones, but not iphones. I can't receive pictures or group texts from anyone.
When someone sends me a pic or group text, I get an error message saying to check my APN settings (using Chomp. Stock just shows a 'downloading' button').

I've checked and triple checked the APN settings and am using the ones ST said to use:
APN: tfdata
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
MMSC: http : //mms-tf.net (no space but wasn't allowed to post the 'link')
MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN Type: default,mms,supl

I have rooted, and flashed both CyanogenMod and currently on Carbon Rom. It's never worked, even on the stock rom.

I've been on help chat with straight talk 3 times at least. They are telling me it is the programming on my phone that is causing the problem.
Is this possible? That the programming on the phone is bad? That doesn't make sense to me.

They also suggested testing my sim card in another phone, but I don't know anyone that has an unlocked phone to test it in.
select data roaming for all trips. That will fix it.

Upvote 0
When you flashed the custom ROMs did you EDIT YOUR BUILD.PROP file to get the proper signal to straight talk .
No, did not - what needs to get changed in there? This is the first time I have heard of BUILD.PROP file before, so don't know what to change (have searched it but not found anything helpful yet)
Selection needs to be made in MMS app and also in the data section.
I have set the MMS values in both the APN settings and the MMS app (chomp and hangouts, tried both), but still nothing.

Upvote 0
Edit with build.prop

ril.sales_code=LOL
ro.csc.sales_code=LOL
ro.telephony.default_network=3
telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=0
telephony.lteOnGSMDevice=1
persist.ril.modem.mode =1
persist.radio.lte.mm.disable=1
persist.radio.ap.phonetype=1
persist.radio.vzw.cdma.mdn=Deleted
ro.mot.phonemode.vzwglobalphone=0
ro.mot.settings.locprivacy=1
ro.mot.eri=0

A few of them are posted twice erase the original and keep these

Upvote 0
OK , will try this, was just reviewing all the settings.
now my current problem is not being able to edit or overwrite the build.prop file. Using android 4.4.
Tried ES File explorer, am rooted, but unable to overwrite or edit the file, it should have superuser rights.
I think I need to get ADB to do this.

Upvote 0
OK , will try this, was just reviewing all the settings.
now my current problem is not being able to edit or overwrite the build.prop file. Using android 4.4.
Tried ES File explorer, am rooted, but unable to overwrite or edit the file, it should have superuser rights.
I think I need to get ADB to do this.
No you need to make sure you have read write permission use the Es explorer to change from ro to rw

Upvote 0
I don't see that option in ES File Explorer. Long press, select 'more', select 'open as', select 'text', select ES Note Editor (also tried Editor), options, edit, make some changes, select back, dialog to save, select 'save', get an error saying I don't have permissions to edit.
Also tried editing on my computer, save to SD card, use ES Explorer to copy and overwrite the version in /system, but says I do not have permissions to overwrite the file.

Root Explorer is ON under options. ES Explorer has SU access, permissions on file are rw-r--r--

I read on latest version of Android that apps have limited permissions to write to files/folders that they did not create, so I wonder if this is that issue. I haven't had time (or energy) to try ADB yet.

THank you though for suggestions.

Upvote 0
I have the current version of ES Explorer, which righgt now is V3.2.3.1.
The instructions on that page do not match what is available on the current version (I don't see experimental options anywhere). I did find an option to Mount R/W (press Menu->Tools->Root Explorer (NOT the on/off button)). It gives you the ability to set rw or ro permissions on /, /persdata/absolute and /system, so I set all of them to rw. But no matter what it resets the /system folder attributes back to ro.
Following steps I listed above (again the editing steps on that page do not work in latest versions, those options are not there), you can open the file as text, then edit it, but when tries to save it will not save. Looks like the folder is always ro.

Well I have some time now, will install ADB on my pc and try that route...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones