MMS Picture messaging fails

Last Updated:

1. bthoward

bthoward Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm having issues sending picture messages using the messaging app. I get an error saying that I typed in an invalid address. I think that this is because its not resizing the images that I try to send.... When i use Handcent all works like it is supposed to but not when I use the default messaging application.

Advertisement
  2. chris.h

chris.h Well-Known Member

3. Robobandit

Robobandit Well-Known Member

Check the phone numbers in your contacts. If you have them set to area code + phone number.. add a 1 in front of the area code so they look like this 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX with or without dashes.

I had just the area code and phone number on mine, and was getting "invalid address" What it does is try to send mms messages to 1 + area code + phone number + area code + phone number

so Instead of it sending to 18888888888, it is trying to send it to 188888888888888888888

When I added a 1 in front of the area code in my contacts list, it sends mms properly.

4. Teezy

Teezy Well-Known Member

ah crap, so i'm gonna have to go through all my contacts and add a 1 in front of area code. /shake fist. is there no option that automatically does this like BB's do?

5. chris.h

chris.h Well-Known Member

All of mine work without a 1 in front of the number as long as there are no parenthesis. e.g., XXX-XXX-XXXX.

You can export to a CSV file from gmail and do a find and replace in a text editor to change, for example, ") " to "-" and "(" to "".

6. Robobandit

Robobandit Well-Known Member

The problem I was having was that it was adding a 1 and the whole phone number including area code again. instead of just adding a 1 in front of the area code.

However, it was only having trouble with mms messages doing this. When I had facebook integrated into my contacts, I only had trouble with sending mms.. when I removed the facebook integration from my contacts list, some people weren't getting my texts either until I added a 1 in front of the phone number in my contacts list, this also corrected the mms problem for me.