MMS problemSupport

1. jatindrj

jatindrj New Member

Hi all. I have the S4 with AT&T. I am having issues sending and receiving pictures and videos, something I didn't have a problem doing a couple of weeks ago. When trying to send, it just fails. When I receive a picture, I get a text bubble telling me the size, expiration date, and a download button. When I click download, it says it is unavailable or expired. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. Lghtwrk

Lghtwrk Member

im having the same problem
  3. eirianbryn

eirianbryn Well-Known Member Contributor

Im thinking some of it has to do with signal quality. If who I'm sending the pic to doesn't have a good signal it takes forever to send or it doesnt send, also the size, if i send a high quality pic it says its too large .. :confused: I haven't had problems receiving as of yet.
  4. Lghtwrk

Lghtwrk Member

in my experience it only happens when somebody with an iphone sends me a picture message but they have no problem receiving my mms messages
  5. m3incorp

m3incorp Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, when I try to send pics (Verizon) it takes forever and more often than not, they don't go through. I have no problems receiving pics though.
  6. Nick The Great

Nick The Great Well-Known Member

I only have an issue sending stuff to my mother. She has a different carrier and different area code. Every time I send a MMS to her, it goes to the same number, but in my area code, SMS is okay. I get hers just fine MMS and SMS
  7. janx218

janx218 Member

I'm on Verizon, and I've noticed that sometimes I have trouble sending/receiving MMS while I'm connected to wifi. I'm not sure why that is, but if disable wifi temporarily, the messages go through.
  8. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

MMS needs mobile data, won't work via WiFi ...at least not in Europe ;)

Harry
  9. m3incorp

m3incorp Well-Known Member

Harry I think you may be right. I'm usually trying to send MMS while at home, work, or school and of course my phone automatically switches to WiFi in those locations. Ok, so I just turned off WiFi and guess what, pics went through like they should. Now, the funny thing is, why some would go through on WiFi and others wouldn't before? And get this, there are two other phones in the house. A Motorola Razr and iPhone 4S. Both of them will send MMS with no problems while on WiFi. I'm wondering if MMS causes those phones to default to mobile data to send? I learn something new every day.
  10. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

I believe the data radio still functions in the background when you have wifi enabled (unless you are using a battery saver that disables mobile data when wifi is on). MMS does require data.
  11. janx218

janx218 Member

I know MMS uses data and not wifi, but even if the phone is connected to wifi, the data should kick in to handle MMS when necessary. My point was simply that this doesn't always happen, which is annoying.
  12. beowulf7

beowulf7 Well-Known Member

I know while MMS uses data, I didn't know it counts against the bandwidth cap. Is that true? Or is MMS considered as "free" bandwidth, i.e., doesn't count against the cap? :confused: