• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MMS sending and receiving problems

Hi all, I am having dramas sending and receiving MMS messages. I rang Telsta (Australia) set up a new APN, sent Telstra an MMS and got a reply ok, sent myself an MMS and got a reply - all seemed fine and was told my HTC Desire setup for MMS was ok and working - tis seemed to be correct if I could send Telstra and myself an MMS. When I try sending an MMS to anyone else it is unable and has the following in undeliverable. Unable to send msg, retrying and failed, permanent failure and doesn't send it. I am pulling my hair out, can anybody please help??????

I've had 6 handsets over the last 5 months and every single one has random issues sending, receiving, sent msgs not being received etc.

I'm on Orange UK and it seems to be that for many many people it's completely hit and miss whether mms will work - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

I tried all possible routes for a solution, changing sms client, stock sms client, apn settings, different sims, different recipents, standing on one leg and pointing at the moon etc etc ... I just believe that the Desire is more susceptable than most phones to network issues and therefore really struggles with mms.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input, really might be a pain if trying to send MMS sometimes. Maybe a miracle will happen!!! I will have to find a free email account that lets me attach pics. I currently use gmail but cant attach any pics to be sent. My carrier wants $7 per month so I can access my regular email account which then lets me put attachments with them. Wait and see.

Upvote 0
Are you connected to wireless when sending the MMS? When ever I have to send an MMS (i.e. one that includes a picture) it doesn't send until I disconnect from wireless and send again. If it's just a bog standard text then it goes fine with wireless on.

For those that do not know. MMS or Multimedia Messaging Service is a carrier supplied service that send Video and or Photos over the air direct to other cell phone users and can only be done via the cellular connection. There has been Transporter software for other phones but I am unaware (yet) of any for Android. This type of service would by pass the cellular connection and send your MMS over a wifi connection. Again I have not come across this option for the android os.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input, really might be a pain if trying to send MMS sometimes. Maybe a miracle will happen!!! I will have to find a free email account that lets me attach pics. I currently use gmail but cant attach any pics to be sent. My carrier wants $7 per month so I can access my regular email account which then lets me put attachments with them. Wait and see.

Don't get me wrong sometimes they fly out and work fine, but other times it's like I'm just throwing photos out the window - they disappear.

I use Free Webmail and E-Mail by GMX | Sign Up Now! as a free email provider. They're pretty good, no spam, works fine with the mail app and allow attachements.

Worth a look anyway.

Upvote 0
For those that do not know. MMS or Multimedia Messaging Service is a carrier supplied service that send Video and or Photos over the air direct to other cell phone users and can only be done via the cellular connection. There has been Transporter software for other phones but I am unaware (yet) of any for Android. This type of service would by pass the cellular connection and send your MMS over a wifi connection. Again I have not come across this option for the android os.

My issue is not that I want to send the MMS over wifi, I'm happy for it to go cellular it's that i have to go into settings to turn wifi off before the MMS can be sent. I would've thought the phone would just bypass the wifi and send by cellular.

Upvote 0
I'm having this problem too. I can receive MMS okay but can not send one at all. On a non-branded Desire, Orange network.

EDIT: It seems the problem was with the recipient of the MMS rather than myself. I still can't MMS that person but having tried to others I can so I guess there is no fix for this at my end.

Upvote 0
This WILL solve MMS a 3g problem. Simple as it sounds. In your Contact
folder, EDIT all your phones number so they do not have DASH"S bettween
the numbers. Like: you would see: xxx-000-5482 edit it so it will be all
the numbers together: xx0005482.. example not what you should type
just a EXAMPE. Just retype in any number in your contact list. NO DASH'S
between the numbers. You have edit your contact list.

NO DASHS in your contact list number if you are using a MY SIDE 3g
Phone from T-Mobile. When you send picture ect. and mulitimedia it
will go though. It all has to do with the old ascci standard and how
a computer recongises charactors typed on a keyboard ect. ect.

My thanks to the user on the T-Mobile forum for figering this out for the
the My slide 3g. You must be an old 8-bit programer to have this little
insight. Atari, Commador... ah the good old days. I should have known.

Moonraker *.*

Reactions: Christos67
Upvote 0
This WILL solve MMS a 3g problem. Simple as it sounds. In your Contact
folder, EDIT all your phones number so they do not have DASH"S bettween
the numbers. Like: you would see: xxx-000-5482 edit it so it will be all
the numbers together: xx0005482.. example not what you should type
just a EXAMPE. Just retype in any number in your contact list. NO DASH'S
between the numbers. You have edit your contact list.

NO DASHS in your contact list number if you are using a MY SIDE 3g
Phone from T-Mobile. When you send picture ect. and mulitimedia it
will go though. It all has to do with the old ascci standard and how
a computer recongises charactors typed on a keyboard ect. ect.

My thanks to the user on the T-Mobile forum for figering this out for the
the My slide 3g. You must be an old 8-bit programer to have this little
insight. Atari, Commador... ah the good old days. I should have known.

Moonraker *.*
Thanks Moonraker! Your advice solved the problem for me!! Much appreciated buddy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones