• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MMS/SMS messaging issues

rjcvideo

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
So I purchased my new HTC One yesterday and setup was surprisingly easy. I began installing some of the apps I had used on my EVO. I got Handcent installed and made sure it was the default SMS/MMS app. I went into the stock message app and basically turned it off, by deselecting all the checks.

Now, since yesterday, any text I receive has come through multiple times, over and over. E.g. I got an email from CNN and through the night, it came through 8 times. I texted a friend yesterday and am still getting the reply, about 15 times so far.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this?? :thinking:

My wife was on the phone all day yesterday with Sprint, and they were of course, no help! They had her do about 5 soft resets and 3 or 4 hard resets. Not very creative Sprint CS!?!

I tried disabling Handcent and then finally uninstalled it. Got several more duplicate texts, but within the last few hours, we've not. So maybe it was a service issue....?!?!

Upvote 0
My wife was on the phone all day yesterday with Sprint, and they were of course, no help! They had her do about 5 soft resets and 3 or 4 hard resets. Not very creative Sprint CS!?!

I tried disabling Handcent and then finally uninstalled it. Got several more duplicate texts, but within the last few hours, we've not. So maybe it was a service issue....?!?!

could be a carrier issue and could have been a handcent issue. I have read posts on other devices where people had issues with that app. I would keep it uninstalled for a day or so.

phone is new so there could be some growing pains here and there....give it a couple days and repost here if there is any change...

+1 On the suggestion from marctronixx.

Run the stock messaging app only & if the issue continues,save all of your messaging history & take your phone to a local SPRINT store.YMMV w/the results,however,nothing takes the place of an in-person experience/interaction & some course of action will have to occur before leaving the store.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Hi all,

Was today gifted with the pleasure of finally getting my mitts on a new One!!

Brilliant all round. A few little things to get used to but fantastic either way. But I digress...

When sending MMS messages, everything's perfect.

Receiving them, tho, is a different story. All received images are of greatly reduced size and quality.

Have checked the settings and confirmed it's on the maximum 600k size....any ideas as to how to make them come through like normal?

Thank you in advance :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply :)

Emailed attachments are perfect. It's only receiving mms that mutates it somewhat.

I took a photo and sent it myself. I'll upload the details of both the original image and of the received image.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366638105251.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366638105251.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 205
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366638115863.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366638115863.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0
picturemail aka MMS will be reduced in quality due to the restrictions Sprint have in place for sending such files.

OP, are you new to sprint? if not, this reduced quality of picture mail has been the same for quite some time. more than likely what you're seeing is normal.

take a video and then attach it. you don't have to send it just take it, and after the phone converts it to send via SMS, click it and look at the quality.

in the stock SMS app, there are settings you can adjust, but probably they won't make much of a difference.

Reactions: flairmedk
Upvote 0
so this is kind of related and i am getting the one very shortly here. my buddy who i converted from an iphone to the one said that with his old iphone he could take previously recorded videos that are any length (1minute+) and all he would have to do is hit share in mms and it would send the long video file. Now with the androids I tried on multiple phones to do this but they all say the file size is too big where the iphone never said that and would compress and make it a small crappy image and could send long videos. Is there any way to fix this for androids?

Upvote 0
UGH! Chomp is doing this too. I just emailed them. LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, doing a little more digging on the Chomp app, I went to Settings>Mobile Carrier Network>MMS Network Settings>Send Size limit, set it to No limit. It has a "preserve image resolution" setting, which was already checked. Sent it to my wifes iphone 5. Of course she cant check the resolution on her iphone, so I had her send it back to me. The resolution was slightly smaller when it came back to my One. Though, this could be the iphone doing some compression on its end.

However, the picture looked fine on both units when sent and re-sent.

Upvote 0
Can the HTC One do true group texting? When you send a text to mulitple people in one message, and when they all reply, the replies all stay within the message. My GS3 does not do this properly and all of the replies come in separate. I know there are different apps that supposedly do this, but I never got them to work 100% of the time. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Can the HTC One do true group texting? When you send a text to mulitple people in one message, and when they all reply, the replies all stay within the message. My GS3 does not do this properly and all of the replies come in separate. I know there are different apps that supposedly do this, but I never got them to work 100% of the time. Thanks!

There is away to forward messages. Group texting? Perhaps a 3rd party app like SMS Pro.

Yup Group Messaging is built in and it works great. In the Stock Messaging settings you go to MMS and then turn on Group Messaging and enter your phone number for Group Messages. Then when you add more than one person to send a message to it converts it to an MMS. You also have a choice at the time of creation to send them as individual messages. When you receive a Group Message from an iPhone it keeps all the replies in the same thread.

Upvote 0
Do the replies only come to the sender? I always get annoyed when friends send out group text from iphone and I get replies from random people replying to my friends text that I don't want to be coming to my phone :thinking:

Yes the replies come to your phone as they do now but they all get put in the same thread so at least they are in context. There is nothing you can do to stop the replies on any phone so if you can't beat em......

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones