• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MMS Video not playing!

galante2123

Lurker
Nov 12, 2009
US
I have been reading and searching this forum since I got my Moto Droid. I have yet to find anything on people not being able to view videos received via MMS messaging. I have received 10+ videos from my wife of our 5 mo old daughter and not one of the videos play. She has an Envy touch and the clips are not longer then 15sec.
She is not the only one I am unable to view either. So far EVERY Video file I have received via MMS I have not been able to see anything but the very first frame. The video just looks frozen and the sound plays in the background. I am beginning to hate this lack of video playback on MMS.

Any guidance would be awesome!

There is something in this Dec. 11th update notice about MMS and file attachment however the DROID (Android 2.0) is missing some codec support:

Informative Notifications

Bluetooth Carkit Compatibility
The Bluetooth compatibility matrix
Accessories
The A855 has magnetic sensors to support operation with car holder and desktop cradle accessories. Holsters and cases that contain magnets are not to be used as they can cause false switches into car or desktop cradle modes. Refer the customer to case SKUs MOTA855CAS and PDASDPCH6.
Wired headsets have a higher volume than Bluetooth headsets.
Applications
Non-VZW Branded Applications
Google Maps can take several minutes to display the proper location and may be inaccurate when initially started. Accuracy can be improved by enabling GPS satellites by pressing the MENU button, select Settings, select Location & security settings and then select Use GPS satellites.
NOTE: Enabling this setting will have a negative impact to battery life.
11/8/09 - Google Search does not support voice input via Bluetooth headsets.
11/8/09 - Quick Office supports Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Power Point, Microsoft Word and Adobe PDF files. Quick Office is included in the device software and will not be removed when a Factory data reset is performed.

VZW Branded Applications
Wi-Fi access for Visual Voice Mail is currently not supported.
Activation/Over the Air Software Upgrades
Customers moving from a BREW device who subscribe to notifications (alerts) will need to have BREW block enabled to prevent notifications from being delivered to the device.
The Over the Air software updates will not display the maximum time required.
When using Factory data reset to initialize the device, it can take several minutes to complete. The reset will complete in the background.
POP3 Email

Upvote 0
video messaging is messed up with mine to....the videos that get sent to me dont even play and some pics dont load and i cant send mms to other carriers, att, tmobile.....and guess what.....ive been onthe phone backand forth with vzw tech and moto tech since 11/6......and they either dont know or DO NOT CARE....takin mine back..and going back to my env touch.

Upvote 0
SO the update has been in full swing for a while now and I still am unable to view any video messages sent to my device? What is the deal here? I am not getting abnormally large files from a computer or anything like that. I can not view ANY views small or large sent from anyone. I have tried to open messages from:
-An LG Touch - 5 sec vid and 15 sec - WILL NOT PLAY
-An LG 8000 - 5 sec and 12 sec videos - STILL JUST A STILL IMAGE
-Moto Razr - 7 secs and 16 sec - SOUND BUT NO MOVING VIDEO?

WHAT THE HELL! Are the masses not having this issue. I have not seen anyone else posting about this anywhere. Is there a fix or am I carring a bad handset because if I have to go to VZW and hear those bone wackers tell me to "Hard Reset the Device" I am gonna hurt someone! That is not going to fix this trust me I have tried already.

Upvote 0
SO the update has been in full swing for a while now and I still am unable to view any video messages sent to my device? What is the deal here? I am not getting abnormally large files from a computer or anything like that. I can not view ANY views small or large sent from anyone. I have tried to open messages from:
-An LG Touch - 5 sec vid and 15 sec - WILL NOT PLAY
-An LG 8000 - 5 sec and 12 sec videos - STILL JUST A STILL IMAGE
-Moto Razr - 7 secs and 16 sec - SOUND BUT NO MOVING VIDEO?

WHAT THE HELL! Are the masses not having this issue. I have not seen anyone else posting about this anywhere. Is there a fix or am I carring a bad handset because if I have to go to VZW and hear those bone wackers tell me to "Hard Reset the Device" I am gonna hurt someone! That is not going to fix this trust me I have tried already.
Maybe most people don't get videos and do not notice it, but mine does this too. When I get a video it just shows a thumbnail of the video and the phone acts like the video is playing but it is not. I wish we could see if anyone else is experiencing this.

Upvote 0
Maybe most people don't get videos and do not notice it, but mine does this too. When I get a video it just shows a thumbnail of the video and the phone acts like the video is playing but it is not. I wish we could see if anyone else is experiencing this.

Oh man..I have the same issue, I thought I was doing something wrong.

Anyone with any suggestions?:thinking:

Upvote 0
I am having MMS issues on my SGS 2 through ATT. My daughter has sent several MMS messages to my wife and me. They are 3gpp files when saved to my card. The video/ sound plays fine on her Captivate (my old phone) while my new SGS 2 will only play the sound. In the messaging thread, only the first frame of video is displayed. I can test send a VERY short mms to myself with success.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones