• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MN Governor to sign minimum wage bill

There may have been some truth in that back in the 70s however, over the last 20 years it has been minimal or negative, given that incomes for 99% of the population have stagnated (at best) in real terms.

The biggest influences - both upward and downward - on inflation have probably been a mix of cyclical, population growth and improved living standards in developing countries.

Upward pressure on prices - i.e. demand exceeding supply - was partly driven by the bubble increasing economic activity and partly because of competition for resources (think commodities like oil, food, metals etc) due to factors like increased global population and increased living standards across the developing world - think China, India and quite a few countries across Asia, South America and Africa.

Recent downward pressure - supply exceeding demand - has been the crash reducing overall economic activity. Prior to that though, downward pressure on prices came primarily from increased supply of manufactured goods from places like China. Due to the way inflation is measured, this did a great job of masking inflation during the bubble - think how house, gas and food prices sky rocketed but the inflation figures barely moved.

Wages are obviously a factor, but rather a small one in our current, globalised economies.

I remember having an interest in buying a house. I do not remember the year. They wanted 75,000 for a three bedroom ranch, with a full basement, and a garage on an acre. In what was basically the middle of no where. Nice little setup accept for the location. I didn't really care about the location it was close enough.

My opinion didn't actually count, so a year later we were still looking, but in the meantime the government decided that in order to boost the housing industry they would lower interest rates. Then the american people went insane.

That same house less than a year later had a price of 143,000. The realtor was confident the price was fair. I did actually hear later that that realtor went to jail for promising to buy if the houses didn't sell. Apparently, he would over price the house, then buy it when it wouldn't sell. Then turn around and sell it for a nice little profit of his own.

The thing that got him caught was that people didn't care they were willing to seriously consider the overpriced house. Which would have made him a nice commission but not anywhere near what he could get buying and selling, so he had to lie about the condition of the house to disinterest buyers long enough to buy the houses himself.

Personally, it never made sense to me that people were willing to pay twice what a house was worth just because interest rates were low.

It never stopped. People were buying and selling houes before they were built.

Upvote 0
Personally, it never made sense to me that people were willing to pay twice what a house was worth just because interest rates were low.

Well for some, that was the market price at the time and they couldn't wait to after the crash to buy one. If you need to move, you need to move.

I wish I had been born a few years earlier so I would be poised to buy a house right now. Just barely finished my bachelors and have started working...won't have the work history + downpayment to buy a house for another couple of years. That's going to cost me a lot of money.

Upvote 0
There may have been some truth in that back in the 70s however, over the last 20 years it has been minimal or negative, given that incomes for 99% of the population have stagnated (at best) in real terms.

The biggest influences - both upward and downward - on inflation have probably been a mix of cyclical, population growth and improved living standards in developing countries.

Upward pressure on prices - i.e. demand exceeding supply - was partly driven by the bubble increasing economic activity and partly because of competition for resources (think commodities like oil, food, metals etc) due to factors like increased global population and increased living standards across the developing world - think China, India and quite a few countries across Asia, South America and Africa.

Recent downward pressure - supply exceeding demand - has been the crash reducing overall economic activity. Prior to that though, downward pressure on prices came primarily from increased supply of manufactured goods from places like China. Due to the way inflation is measured, this did a great job of masking inflation during the bubble - think how house, gas and food prices sky rocketed but the inflation figures barely moved.

Wages are obviously a factor, but rather a small one in our current, globalised economies.

I remember having an interest in buying a house. I do not remember the year. They wanted 75,000 for a three bedroom ranch, with a full basement, and a garage on an acre. In what was basically the middle of no where. Nice little setup accept for the location. I didn't really care about the location it was close enough.

My opinion didn't actually count, so a year later we were still looking, but in the meantime the government decided that in order to boost the housing industry they would lower interest rates. Then the american people went insane.

That same house less than a year later had a price of 143,000. The realtor was confident the price was fair. I did actually hear later that that realtor went to jail for promising to buy if the houses didn't sell. Apparently, he would over price the house, then buy it when it wouldn't sell. Then turn around and sell it for a nice little profit of his own.

The thing that got him caught was that people didn't care they were willing to seriously consider the overpriced house. Which would have made him a nice commission but not anywhere near what he could get buying and selling, so he had to lie about the condition of the house to disinterest buyers long enough to buy the houses himself.

It never stopped. People were buying and selling houes before they were built. It never stopped. Until the bubble burst. It was everyone's faught except the one's who started it, and all the creativity in the would couldn't keep it going, but creativity wasn't needed toward the end. People's faith kept it afloat for the longest time. Once the faith wavered the crash came.

Before they made the original move to help the housing industry I had a savings account that paid six and a half percent. I don't know what they pay now?

The most amazing thing is that they still think that controlling the interest rate will solve all their problems. The truth is that what mn purposes isn't enough. The truth is that inflation is rolling right along even as wages stagnate. The minimum wage decision is probably more of an actuarial event then it is anything else, otherwise why wait.

Why not do it now while the weather is warm. Why wait until the prospect of high heating cost determins where there extra money is going to go.

Upvote 0
Well for some, that was the market price at the time and they couldn't wait to after the crash to buy one. If you need to move, you need to move.

I wish I had been born a few years earlier so I would be poised to buy a house right now. Just barely finished my bachelors and have started working...won't have the work history + downpayment to buy a house for another couple of years. That's going to cost me a lot of money.

The submit button on my phone is too easy to hit so I wasn't quite done with my post when it posted. Keyboard seems to have gone crazy also...

It is my opinion that the only thing that is going to help right now is that they actually begin to sell homes to people who are not perfectly poised to buy, and they need to do it now. It would help if you actually lived in the thing. Anyone interested in buying a home now should be in it for the long term, and not in it for the quick buck.

Upvote 0
Here, the low interest rates and government subsidies :eek: have the housing market going absolutely crazy again - not even 6 years after the same insanity nearly brought down the global economy.

In places like London and even Reading, properties are going for thousands - even tens of thousands - above asking price. A colleague has been trying to buy and has just lost out on his sixth attempt to buy a house, each time after offering something like $10K over asking price.

Just 3 years ago, I thought I did spectacularly well when I accepted an offer at less than 10% under asking.

It's complete madness: unless you're retiring and downsizing, high housing prices are only good for the builders, banks and realtors. I completely fail to understand why Brits think increasing house prices are a good thing. All it does is increase inflation -- though only indirectly as, absurdly, housing is not included in the official inflation rate calculation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones