• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MobieDB/ListPro 4 Android?

I have the same problem as you, ianhkg. I use SmartList To Go on Palm, which is comparable to ListPro, and am dismayed there is not yet an equivalent for Android. Many others have posted asking about the same type of mobile database app. There's a big gaping market out there, and not one developer (AFAIK) has jumped in. This is a must-have function for me, so I can't switch to Android until there's a solution. Android even has SQLite built in--how hard can it be for a Linux/DB guy to add this??

Upvote 0
I hear you guys. I have been on Android for months and everyday I check here to see if something like listpro is out. Yes there are many lists out there but none compare to the features of listpro or smartlist, which also syncs with desktop.
According to iliumsoft there is nothing in the works yet.

Maybe my x-mas present...

Upvote 0
I hear you guys. I have been on Android for months and everyday I check here to see if something like listpro is out. Yes there are many lists out there but none compare to the features of listpro or smartlist, which also syncs with desktop.
According to iliumsoft there is nothing in the works yet.

Maybe my x-mas present...

I have emailed iliumsoft also and voiced my support of a ListPro Android app. They said they would pass my request on to the developers. I will be switching to Android in January, so maybe by then something comparable will be out.

Upvote 0
Here's another suggestion - take a look at my post at SplashData's forum about SplashID, and post a message in support:

SplashID ----> general database / list manager program

If you are not familiar with it, SplashID is a secure information manager for passwords, credit card info, etc. It runs on multiple phones and syncs with desktops. And it is already closer to a general list manager than most of the products out there. It has multiple fields that you can name whatever you want, it has sorting, it has a text field for notes, it syncs ...

I am about to start using it as is, using what they call Category as the list name, which also allows different field names. But I have suggested they take the code, make a few changes, and release a new product. All it needs is a few field types (date/time, numeric), and a way to separate this from my password data, so I can use it without a password.

Check it out.
Dan

Upvote 0
One possibility is Memento

It allows you to define your own list structures (number of fields, field types). The pro version is $9.99. They allow cvs import and export, can sync with their website, and (they say) Google docs. I haven't tried the Google docs because they aren't using the Google authentication and instead ask for your Google password. That's a no-go, for me. I'd buy Pro in a heartbeat if they used the correct authentication method.

I wish they had full tagging support (instead they do standard DB fields) and a location-aware field. I used Ultralist Pro from the iPhone and loved the ability to keep location lists and its sweet interface with google location lookups. But Memento is a step in the right direction.

Update: they do have a map-picker location field, but can't do google location searches in it, you have to manually point to the location on the map.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0

I have. Its somewhat complex to set up the PC piece - it might support Access directly, which I don't have - but I had to configure ODBC, which is never fun. And I don't think ODBC was able to read the Excel databases I created in OpenOffice, so I ended up installing MySql just to do some testing.

The biggest problem is in the phone app: text fields are displayed and edited in a small field that shows 1 or maybe 1.5 lines, so it's hard to use effectively.

I reported that problem, and keep trying new versions of the phone piece, but they have not changed that yet.

Dan

Upvote 0
One possibility is Memento

It allows you to define your own list structures (number of fields, field types). The pro version is $9.99. They allow cvs import and export, can sync with their website, and (they say) Google docs. I haven't tried the Google docs because they aren't using the Google authentication and instead ask for your Google password. That's a no-go, for me. I'd buy Pro in a heartbeat if they used the correct authentication method.

I wish they had full tagging support (instead they do standard DB fields) and a location-aware field. I used Ultralist Pro from the iPhone and loved the ability to keep location lists and its sweet interface with google location lookups. But Memento is a step in the right direction.

Update: they do have a map-picker location field, but can't do google location searches in it, you have to manually point to the location on the map.

Thanks for the info on this program. I just installed it and it looks like they are using Google authentication. I tested it and the sync with Google Docs works pretty good.

Upvote 0
Dan, did u decide which u liked best? memento or handbase?

I bought Handbase. I don't remember whether I tried memento - it looks like it does not have a Windows component - just google docs? That might have been why ...

Anyway, Handbase is good. The Android piece has had some bugs in the first versions, but the developer has been very responsive. About the only think I wish it had was wireless sync - just because I find I don't sync as often when I have to dig out a cable, etc. (Using a cable to sync Listpro was not a problem when I used a desktop PC, because the cable was always right there - when a laptop became my primary computer, I really appreciated Palm's addition of bluetooth sync support.) There is some possibility that Handbase may be enhanced to do some kind of wireless sync - but the developer has not committed to that yet.

What I am about to say next is not a reflection on Handbase - the other disadvantage of Android syncing is that each app has its own mechanism, and each sync has to be invoked on its own. No Hotsync - no conduit architecture ... amazing how advanced Palm was even YEARS ago! Apps that sync through "the cloud" are pretty effortless. But my kludge of MS Outlook tasks / Toodledo sync via Chromatic Dragon / GotToDo phone app has been troublesome, with little possibility of support, with 4 companies involved.

Dan

Upvote 0
Count me in as another past ListPro user looking for an equivalent Android app. I've only had my Samsung Epic 4G for a couple weeks and find myself missing some of my old Palm apps :( I contacted Ilium and asked if they were going to cross over to the Android platform. They said they were "looking into the possibility."

I will check out the other suggestions in this thread.

Upvote 0
Here's another suggestion - take a look at my post at SplashData's forum about SplashID, and post a message in support:

SplashID ----> general database / list manager program

If you are not familiar with it, SplashID is a secure information manager for passwords, credit card info, etc. It runs on multiple phones and syncs with desktops. And it is already closer to a general list manager than most of the products out there. It has multiple fields that you can name whatever you want, it has sorting, it has a text field for notes, it syncs ...

Check it out.
Dan
Be aware that SplashID does not support Unicode and has no plans for that.
Incredible, isn't it?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Listpro was a generalized list or data manager - not just (or not particularly) oriented to task management. There are lots of Android task management apps, but its awfully hard to use them for general data management - for that, you need flexible field names and data types. Handbase is the only app I have found that offers that, along with windows sync. If there is a "task manager" that will do that, I would be happy to use it.

Dan

Upvote 0
kronhead,

I have Listpro. There are 2 aspects of Listpro I like. Outlining & listing. In other words an Outliner with Columns. Ecco Pro is the only other software having both as far as I know.

I bought Handbase Windows & Android for tabular information (books collection for example) , but I miss the convenience of a hierarchical organization for free form information.

MLO does provide a highly customizable task outliner. With very little configuration, it becomes a very good text outliner as well as a great task manager.

Both Handbase have Windows & Android versions. Listpro has not yet announced an Android version

So I think I will purchase MLO also to complement Handbase.

John

Listpro was a generalized list or data manager - not just (or not particularly) oriented to task management. There are lots of Android task management apps, but its awfully hard to use them for general data management - for that, you need flexible field names and data types. Handbase is the only app I have found that offers that, along with windows sync. If there is a "task manager" that will do that, I would be happy to use it.

Dan

Upvote 0
I am a big fan of outlining as well - altho I don't use that paradigm much these days. I user Evernote for general information storage.

My favorite info manager was called, I think, Infosys, running on a Palm PDA. As I remember, it supported outlining - and maybe had a PC component? It's been a lot of years since I used it! I also LOVED Lotus Agenda - I did some things with that I could NEVER do with anything else. But no PDA version for that.

Dan

Upvote 0
I also have been holding out for ListPro for Android for years. I am almost to the point of paying the developers for their time to build ListPro for Android. I have years of time wrapped up in my lists. Converting them would take a long, long, long time.

Having said that, if I want to carry only one device with me wherever I go, I don't see any other choice but to switch.

EssentialPIM looks like a viable option. If the developers could get the formatting of the notes to show up on the Android, I would switch to this app. The software has been around since the PPC days and opens relatively fast (ListPro opens in under a second on my computer).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones