• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile app for Cisco 7940 series ip phone?

Telstar_2112

Dec 19, 2009
We use Cisco ip phones in my office and the entire 3 facilities we own are covered by wifi. Anyone know if there is anyway to duplicate my desktop phone onto the Droid, similar to Cisco's IP Communicator program which runs on my Laptop. It would be great to get my calls, answer pages, make pages, and use our 3 digit dialing from my droid.

TIA
Telstar.

You need to first check your Call Manager's protocol. Most cases, enterprise clusters are running SCCP, where most softphone/cell apps run using SIP. That said, there probably aren't any "Android" based apps out yet that will work with Call Manager. Best bet is to check with Cisco.

Upvote 0
We use Cisco ip phones in my office and the entire 3 facilities we own are covered by wifi. Anyone know if there is anyway to duplicate my desktop phone onto the Droid, similar to Cisco's IP Communicator program which runs on my Laptop. It would be great to get my calls, answer pages, make pages, and use our 3 digit dialing from my droid.

TIA
Telstar.

While there isn't a specific app available today for the Android platform, I've heard that Cisco is now looking at the android platform and will possibly deveploping apps similar to the Mobile Communcator
Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator - Products & Services - Cisco Systems. Whether or not this happens remains to be seen but with the rate of growth that the Android platform is having, I think it's only a matter of time.

It is possible to have calls ring your deskphone and cell at the same time, it just depends what version of Call Manager you are running. Depending on how you are doing pages, you could play around with translation pattern within Call Manager to reach your paging system via your cell.

Upvote 0
I have been looking into SipDroid (sipdroid - Project Hosting on SIP/VoIP client for Android) and have got myself authenticated and connected to Call Manager 6.1.x, but having some problems. I can receive and make calls, but the audio is only one way. I can hear the other person, but they can't hear me. I am still messing around with it, but if your technical enough, something you can look into.

Pretty sure it has to due with audio codecs 911 alaw/ulaw, and I haven't figured out how to get Call Manager to allow both, currently set on 911 ulaw. If you know anything in these regards, would be much appreciated. :)

Upvote 0
I can receive and make calls, but the audio is only one way. I can hear the other person, but they can't hear me. I am still messing around with it, but if your technical enough, something you can look into.

That actually sounds like a VLAN issue to me. Are you using a separate VLAN for voice?

I'm going to experiment tomorrow at work. Thanks for the link. :)

Upvote 0
I had no luck getting Sip Droid to register with my CCM R6. I found SipAgent, which has a better interface. Some tips.

1. Your user/password should be your extension#
2. Your Domain should be the IP address of your CCM.

If you do not have a system admin helping you, you will not get this to work.

I too have had issues with 1 way voice only. I will try to set my CCM to 922aLaw. This is a setting in the Device configuration.

Upvote 0
I tried the 711alaw route with SipAgent. I can hear the call fine, but they cannot hear me.

I found that SipDroid released a beta the other day and reports were positive that this now works. I loaded it, and yes, you receive both sides of the conversation, but the cisco caller tends to hear a major echo.

Things to watch:

The Username/Caller ID is actually the Authorized User, from what I can tell. I also put my server address in both the Server and Domain.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones