Mobile Broadband VS Wireless Tethering?

1. ShadyGirl23

ShadyGirl23 Member

Well about 2 years ago I moved into the middle of nowhere, from the city. I went from having 20.0 broadband to I dont even know how slow satellite connection. I mean I have been pulling my hair out for 2 years, until the other day a friend came over with a laptop that had sprint mobile broadband, although nothing compared to 20.0, wayyyy better than the satelite connection we have been using. So we went to sprint and picked one up 10gigs a month for $89, before tax and a 2 year contract, I also got a samsung epic bout $90 a month unlimited internet, I was with tmobile, and barely got a connection. So I found this board and got my phone rooted. Now I have unlimited tethering. Well my question to you guys do you think I should take the mobile broadband back and get another phone, or is there a reason I should keep it? I mean to me it seems like it would make sense to get another phone get a few minutes and unlimited internet, and pay about the same every month, except I would have a back up phone, and unlimited internet!! Please let me know any and all opinions please, I really want to do this tomorrow, if I can.. Thanks guys.

Advertisement
  2. cds0699

cds0699 Well-Known Member

So you're paying $89 + $90 a month for the Epic + mobile broadband card? That seems like a lot. Def sounds worthwhile to have a second phone if you can tether for free.

I do have a mifi card that I use a lil right now, and will be using it more to connect the tablet I'm about to buy to, and I like it a lot. Its basically my backup internet for if my reg wifi network is having issues.
    ShadyGirl23 likes this.
  3. ShadyGirl23

ShadyGirl23 Member

Yea I think i am going to have to take the sprint mobile broadband back and exchange it for a EVO. It would cost me less and I would have 2 phones, I just cant seem to see the point in keeping the mobile broadband and paying $90 a month for 2 years!
  4. cds0699

cds0699 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree, you could also consider a tablet in replace of the mobile broadband card if you'd rather have a tablet instead of 2 phones. Sprint has the Galaxy tab 7", the Motorola XOOM, and the Blackberry Playbook.
    ShadyGirl23 likes this.
  5. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

I believe you only have unlimited on 4G. 3G is limited to 5Gb or so, before you may hear from Sprint. Sprint will know you're tethering as well, due to the traffic your PCs will generate. If you are on 3G, and use a lot of data, it may be worthwhile keeping the mobile broadband just so Sprint doesn't get on your back.
    ShadyGirl23 likes this.
  6. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

Agreed. Check the tethering policy before you make that call.
  7. ShadyGirl23

ShadyGirl23 Member

Thanks for the feedback. Sprint used to have a 5gb cap, that was removed when then extra 10 a month came into affect. Gonna exchange tomorrow and hopefully everythinv goes ok. I have 30 days so I should know if it was worth it or not by then.
  8. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Your call to make. List out the pros and cons for each option. It's not a question with a one-size-fits-all answer. There are certainly people that find mobile broadband devices worthwhile or else they wouldn't exist if there was no demand for them.

Definitely consider your carrier's tethering policy.
  9. ShadyGirl23

ShadyGirl23 Member

the mobile broadband is going back keeping both phones. The phones are way fast than the mobile broadband.