Mobile Data Always On QuestionSupport

Last Updated:

1. Reverence

Reverence Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Obviously like a lot of you, I wish my batter wouldn't drain as fast. I mean, it isn't terrible but it could be better. I have read that disabling mobile data always on will help to save some battery.

My question is, is it worth disabling it? Does it really save that much battery?

Also, what are the downfalls of disabling it...because it makes it sound like your phone isn't going to always be connected so you might miss calls or not get messages if the mobile data isn't on. Can anyone clarify what exactly disabling this does? Would you not be able to have apps auto-update, like facebook?

Advertisement
  2. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Mobile data doesn't affect calling or SMS. That's handled on the 1X side of the radio connection. It only affects things that use the 3G data connection. The way I understand it is that if you need to use your data, it will have to connect rather than already be connected.

My battery life is fine without disabling it, so I haven't tried it.

3. cougar618

cougar618 Member

Basically, If you turn it off the 3G turns off a little while after you turn your screen off. So no push email, no push text through GV. If you don't care about either of those, then go for it.

I have not really seen the increase in battery life though... but YMMV.

4. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

it actually saves a lot of battery when you turn it off... the only thing is that if you need internet you must turn it back on.

5. TokedUp

TokedUp Well-Known Member

I keep my 3G off most of the time and since I've been doing this I'm seeing way better battery life. I recommend if you're not using 3G turn it off.

6. tubs

tubs Active Member

I was about to say that I have issues streaming ESPN radio since the stream stops after 10-15 minutes... but as I was typing my post, my stream stopped (and I was testing it out with 'enable always-on mobile data' checked). so now i'm not sure

but I do know that google voice texts are affected, as well as the yahoo mail app.. i use those all the time, so when i wake my phone up, sometimes i'll manually open yahoo mail and google voice just in case.