Mobile data shutting off by itself

Last Updated:

1. 305Cane

305Cane Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so without touching anything, my mobile data is shutting off. If i try to visit a web page it tells me to enable mobile data in setting, but it already is enabled. its happened more than once. any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. dcdttu

dcdttu Well-Known Member

My phone is very....janky with it's signal, going all over the place. At one point, it lost connectivity all together, only to get it back a few seconds later. It also goex to 1x a LOT, WAY more than my Pre ever did... with a good signal!

My friend's Hero, he works for Sprint, loses data like yours for a few seconds to up to 10 minutes at a time..... Sounds like a patch is needed!

3. flexte

flexte Well-Known Member

happened to me twice yesterday.

4. bitbuster

bitbuster Member

To me that happens multiple times throughout the day.

In addition today for the first time the phone lost the wifi signal. Settings telling me that the network is out of range (although the router is only 2 feet away). Turning wifi off/on fixes the problem ONCE but the same shit happens after a few minutes again. Only a reboot helps.

I am having the hero for 2 days now and especially the radio implementation is shitty at best! BT, Wifi and EVDO all have bugs. In addition the lag on the virtual keyboard is painful. This thing is clearly underpowered.

I just renewed my contract with them for the hero and if nothing changes within the next 27 days or so, I'll just revert back to an old phone for the remaining two month of my contract and then leave sprint.

I really hope an update can fix the radio issues, stability issues, power issues and the keyboard lag. Right now this thing is really not a pleasure to use if you need it as a business tool and not an occasional toy!

5. pdragon

pdragon Well-Known Member

305Cane:
    have you installed any apps that monitor running processes and shut them off? I know I've seen several that do this to try and conserve battery power but are glitchy at best.

bitbuster:
    Sounds like you might've gotten a dud unit. Have you taken it back to a Sprint store for them to look at or contacted customer service? I've had none of the issues you've described, and I've traveled around 2 states with it in just the first week I've had it. Wifi has worked great everywhere I've been that's had a good signal. If your mobile data coverage was good with a previous phone, not sure why it wouldn't be good now. If you've always had poor data coverage in your area, you can hardly blame it on a new phone.

6. dcdttu

dcdttu Well-Known Member

Yea, wifi isn't that strong either. If I go across a house with wifi, I barely have a signal. It's also very dependent on where you hand is on the phone. Antenna is definitely on the bottom of the phone.

As for lagginess, I have no issues at all. This thing puts the iPhone and Pre to shame. It is very fast on almost everything, only occasionally lagging. I'm very happy with that. Only thing I wish was faster was that browser. It's kinda sad.

7. QuiQNeZZ

QuiQNeZZ Well-Known Member

I've only had that happen once. I rebooted the phone and it fixed it and it hasn't happened since. Knock on wood.

8. dcdttu

dcdttu Well-Known Member

Well, today I had my first 'mobile data shut off.' It happened when I was asleep, nothing out of the ordinary going on with the phone. I tried putting the phone in airplane mode, going into the data settings in the phone (which it didn't let me do, said 'turning on' and you could go no further) and many other things such as restarting the Sense UI. Nothing would get the network to come back other than a reboot.

Seems to be related to the Linux core.

My friend, that works for Sprint, has this problem on his phone a LOT. My phone has done it once, his does it daily.

I tried to put in a 'ticket' with Sprint but they wanted me to first wipe my phone, so I kindly declined as my friend has wiped his 'advocate' Hero several times with no luck.

9. 305Cane

305Cane Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The issue stopped for a while, but came back on me a couple times the last few days and i have not been touching anything in taskiller when it happens. However, i started messing around and found that cycling the airplane mode widget instantly brings back data. its worked twice for me today. not sure if it matters what you use, but i used the HTC widget to do so.

10. t1jordan

t1jordan Well-Known Member

this has happened to me. You probably had to much going on at one time. I did a soft reset and it was fine. but i am aware of the problem.

11. dcdttu

dcdttu Well-Known Member

My friend's stopped when he switched to another phone.

It seemed to really happen a lot with him when he would use Wifi a lot.

I never use Wifi that much, and I have only had the problem once.

12. deviouskoopa

deviouskoopa Active Member

Same here, no problems anymore.

13. quentinfisher

quentinfisher Well-Known Member

There are issues with the phone recognizing when you disable your wifi and converting back to Sprints data. Usually for me when I turn off my wifi, my mobile widget freezes up and I can't turn it on or off, I just hold the power button and turn it off and on that way. I believe you have to turn off your mobile data, then turn on wifi to avoid this, but I'm not entirely sure. In terms of data loss, Sprints data has been having issues lately(mainly last month, seems to be better now in my area) not sure whats up with that, but I asked a rep about a few days ago, just told me their datas been going in and out, seems to be fixed now though.

14. camdz

camdz Well-Known Member

Thats what I learned to do as well. I woke up this morning and my phone wouldnt send a text. It wasnt recieving any signal at all (had the little x by the tower). I toggled airplane mode instead of turning the phone off and all was well. This is the first time that has happened to me though in the 3 weeks I have owned the phone.

15. CMank

CMank Active Member

This same thing happened to me today. I ended up shutting the phone down completely and powering back up. Fingers crossed that this is not normal. I've had my phone for two weeks and this is the first issue of this sort.