Mobile Data Troubleshooting StepsTips

1. jmfolcik

jmfolcik Well-Known Member

LG Optimus Elite Mobile Data Troubleshooting
    (login to forum if you cant see the screenshots)
    Please submit at the bottom for regional analysis and look at the existing results. Updated 2/12/13 with 14 confirmed reports.

1. Install "Status Bar 2G-3G Lite" from google Play

2. Long-hold on an empty part of your screen home to add it as a 1x1 widget
    [​IMG]

3. Watch the widget, see if it switches between 3G and 2G every minute or so, when you have good signal (like my full bars.)
    Usually you will see the Bars and 3G activity icon on the status bar flicker around the time it switches. After that point your data usually wont work for about 20-30 seconds while it re-initializes. Also, when this goes on and on your phone should get warm and blow away battery jui[SIZE=5]ce[/SIZE] [SIZE=5]needlessly.[/SIZE]

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Open a call with Virgin Mobile explaining what your seeing. If enough people do it they might fix it if its not a physical limitation, carriers respond best if large numbers of people complain about the same problem that involves engineering to fix.

5. Temporary Fix: if you can deal with it, change your phone to only use 2G(1xRTT), battery will be vastly improved and stability as well of data, though it will be slow.
    Dial *#*#4636#*#*
    [​IMG]

Select Phone Information

[​IMG]
    Scroll down and switch to CDMA Only (if you want to switch back use the CDMA Auto setting)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Survey and Results:
    I created a survey so we can collect more accurate result data. If your area is already listed please submit your result as well to help strengthen results.
    Please enter Yes or No if you verified the problem with the steps above for your area, if you have multiple responses use one survey and utilize the text field to explain (such as happens <here> but not <here>)
    Optimus Elite Data Flaw Survey

Results (as of 2/12/13)
    1. Do you have the 2G/3G Toggling Issue in your area with the Elite
    Yes: 14 No: 0
    2. What City/State(s) does this happen or not happen in?
    Happens (responsee #):
    -Milwaukee,WI (1)
    -60601 (Chicago, IL) (2)
    -Eastern Wisconsin (3)
    -Las Vegas, Nevada (4)
    -Riverside, Los Angeles, Beaumont, California (5)
    -Hartford, CT (6)
    -Greenville, SC (7)
    -Frederick and Hagerstown Maryland (8)
    -Madison, WI (9)
    -San Diego, CA (10)
    -Sherman, TX (11)
    -Queens, NY (12)

-Madison, WI (13)
    -
    Parsippany, NJ (14)

Doesn't Happen:
    -Tampa, St. Petersburg, Florida (1)

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    :
    sneaky_1, jacer, jamoosh and 3 others like this.
  2. Daigoro

Daigoro Active Member

yep im having this same issue exactly as described. brand new Elite in Hartford CT.

full bars or one missing at most. when it flickers and changes from 3g to 2g data dies completely for about 30 seconds. very annoying.

im wondering if i should try and swap it for another Elite that hopefully isnt affected, or getting another phone altogether.

its a shame. its a nice phone otherwise, and a steal at $50, but this data issue is quite annoying.
  3. I had this problem a while ago after I got throttled and restarted a new month. VM did a data reset and it was fine after.

Also,I noticed that prior to the Network Vision update in our area, the phone went very often into 1x. (Network Vision is the new Sprint's tower equipment that transmit enhanced 3G and LTE)

Contact their social media people: saveme@thevirginangels.com , it is easier than talking to someone outside the US for an hour.
    jamoosh likes this.
  4. jamoosh

jamoosh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post, jmfolcik.
    I'm having the same problem here in South Central Wisconsin.

Edit:
    I will try the fix and report back on how it impacts battery life.
  5. snorge

snorge Well-Known Member

Just got an Elite. I seem to be having data problems but using this tool it stays on 3G. I guess I will keep checking it over the weekend.

Edit: Seems an app I installed that is frequently accessing the connection keeps it alive and working reasonably.
  6. Artine

Artine Well-Known Member Contributor

Alternatively instead of dialing the device hidden menu, the Pimp my ROM app from the Play Store allows one to access the hidden menu as well, to change over the network to CDMA only. Just thought I'd let people know.
    jamoosh likes this.
  7. jamoosh

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, "Network" by Philipp Mangelow simply creates a shortcut to the RadioInfo screen.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...251bGwsMSwyLDEsImRlLm1hbmdlbG93Lm5ldHdvcmsiXQ..
    Though, personally I think I will probably just get a different phone at this point. Perhaps the Optimus Slider, if it is not plagued with these problems.

Artine likes this.
  8. jamoosh

What app is it?
  9. PilotBob

PilotBob Well-Known Member

I type that number into my dialer and nothing happens. What am I missing?

EDIT: Ok, used that Network app to get there.
  10. snorge

snorge Well-Known Member

jamoosh likes this.
  11. jamoosh

If you're going by the picture above, you need to add another asterisk at the end. I made that mistake.

12. jamoosh

I'll check it out. Thanks.