• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile Data+wifi question

brownitus

Jun 28, 2012
I've never had a mobile data plan before and just got it today, so just wanting to clarify this: If I have both Mobile Data and Wifi on, which gets "priority" if that makes any sense, or does one get used for X and the other for Y, or?

I see on the status bar that when both are on, I don't see the "3G" little text on my cell bars that indicates it's using the mobile data, so I'm guessing the phone defaults to wifi and only uses mobile for my voicemail+ and mms?

Thanks for any help!

WiFi will always take priority over mobile data. If, however, your WiFi signal is marginal, you can see a lot of switching back and forth, which will drain your battery. In areas of weak signal, it's best to turn off WiFi if you are going to be there for any length of time.

For mms you need both a data and phone connection.

Reactions: brownitus
Upvote 0
WiFi will always take priority over mobile data. If, however, your WiFi signal is marginal, you can see a lot of switching back and forth, which will drain your battery. In areas of weak signal, it's best to turn off WiFi if you are going to be there for any length of time.

For mms you need both a data and phone connection.

Thank you! That clears it up, and the signal strength tidbit is very good to know when I'm in a coffee shop or somewhere trying to leech the crappy free wifi :D Cheers.

Upvote 0
I always keep my Wifi on wherever I am. So when I get through my front door Wifi connects within seconds and stays connected until I leave again - no usage of my mobile data allowance. Same of course applies to anywhere I have been and used the Wifi network as the phone will remember and auto-connect, subject to the password still being the same.

Upvote 0
I always keep my Wifi on wherever I am. So when I get through my front door Wifi connects within seconds and stays connected until I leave again - no usage of my mobile data allowance. Same of course applies to anywhere I have been and used the Wifi network as the phone will remember and auto-connect, subject to the password still being the same.
sounds good, and that's the way I've gone for a long time. But I'm getting kind of paranoid and now use WIFI onlly on trusted sites...like home. Lots of bad guys out there who would like to access phones for nefarious reasons. Better to play it safe ;)

JM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones